Nov 27, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Give the Detroit Red Wings credit — they’re presenting fans the opportunity to watch hockey.
On Wednesday at Detroit’s PB’s Sports Grille, former Wings tough guy Darren McCarty and current play-by-play man Ken Kal will host a viewing party where folks can watch the infamous “Bloody Wednesday” (or, “Fight Night at the Joe”) 1997 regular season game between the Wings and Avs.
The game occurred on Wednesday, Mar. 26, roughly 10 months after Colorado forward Claude Lemieux did this to Detroit’s Kris Draper in the ’96 Western Conference final:
Draper suffered a broken jaw, shattered cheek and orbital bone which required reconstructive surgery — his jaw also ended up being wired shut.
Lemieux received a two-game suspension for the hit, returning to the lineup for Colorado’s eventual Stanley Cup victory.
Following the incident, Colorado and Detroit met three times during the 1996-97 regular season before the infamous March affair, which went a little something like this:
The game was arguably McCarty’s defining moment in a Wings uniform (the argument, of course, is this goal.)
In addition to administering the frontier justice Kal later called “the turning point” of Detroit’s season, McCarty also scored the OT winner on Patrick Roy.
All told, the Red Wings and Avalanche combined to produce nine fights, 11 goals and record 148 penalty minutes in the game.
Fore more info on the viewing party, click here.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)