Nov 27, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
Few countries would be disappointed in wining a bronze medal, but Team Canada will be gunning to top that at this year’s World Junior Championships in Russia. As for who will go for the gold, that’s still up in the air.
Hockey Canada announced their selection camp will take place December 11-15 in Calgary. Team Canada coach Steve Spott tells Mike Morreale of NHL.com they know there’s stiff competition to be had.
“If there’s anything I would say to Canadian hockey fans, it’s that this has become a global sport,” Spott said. “It’s no longer Canada’s divine right to win gold medals at any level. The bar has been raised, but it hasn’t changed our mindset where it is gold or nothing.”
One guy who won’t be suiting up for Canada is defenseman Ryan Murray. He’ll miss up to six months after undergoing surgery on his injured shoulder. Don’t feel too bad for Canada as they’ll still have a loaded blue line (as well as the rest of the team) with guys like Dougie Hamilton and Scott Harrington (among many others) as well as likely top five picks in the 2013 draft forwards Nathan MacKinnon and Jonathan Drouin.
The World Junior Championships go from December 26 through January 5 in Ufa, Russia.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 37
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 49
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 31
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 96
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games