Nov 27, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
“That’s a very real possibility,” Schneider said. “That’s why we’ve chosen not to go this direction yet and the hope is that the owners understand, too. They’ve got an awful lot from us and to not worry about losing another season, it doesn’t make a lot of sense from either end.”
The Canucks netminder emphasized how serious it would be to take that big step.
“Decertification is not something you do half-heartedly,” Schneider said. “Once the wheels are in motion, there’s no stopping. It’s a very serious decision and that’s why we’re a little reluctant to charge ahead without thinking.”
Even with such a balanced approach, Schneider still expressed some of the players’ misgivings toward the other side.
“Nobody trusts anything they [owners] do,” Schneider said. “We could agree to their number on make-whole [transition] and they would still say it’s $100 million or no money or because you agree to that, we’re going to give less.”
Which might call for some desperate measures.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)