Nov 27, 2012, 1:16 PM EDT
“That’s a very real possibility,” Schneider said. “That’s why we’ve chosen not to go this direction yet and the hope is that the owners understand, too. They’ve got an awful lot from us and to not worry about losing another season, it doesn’t make a lot of sense from either end.”
The Canucks netminder emphasized how serious it would be to take that big step.
“Decertification is not something you do half-heartedly,” Schneider said. “Once the wheels are in motion, there’s no stopping. It’s a very serious decision and that’s why we’re a little reluctant to charge ahead without thinking.”
Even with such a balanced approach, Schneider still expressed some of the players’ misgivings toward the other side.
“Nobody trusts anything they [owners] do,” Schneider said. “We could agree to their number on make-whole [transition] and they would still say it’s $100 million or no money or because you agree to that, we’re going to give less.”
Which might call for some desperate measures.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)