Nov 26, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
Smith, 24, is coming off a breakout campaign in Ottawa in which he posted career-highs in games played (81), goals (14) assists (12) and points (26).
He went on to appear in all seven opening-round playoff games against the Rangers and, shortly thereafter, agreed to a four-year, $7.5 million extension with the club.
According to the White Hawks website, Smith was signed based on a recommendation from Sens teammate Peter Regin, one of the few Danish players in the NHL (Regin used to play with Herning of the AL-Bank Ligaen.)
Speaking of Smith’s teammates….
He’ll join fellow Sens forward Colin Greening in the Danish league, as Greening inked with Aalborg in late October. Greening has 9G-9A-18PTS in 10 games thus far — he and Nashville defenseman Kevin Klein are the league’s two most noteworthy NHL imports.
Oh yeah, one of the league’s biggest sponsors is Dong Energy, Denmark’s leading energy company. Have fun with that in the comments section.
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 2
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 41
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 89
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 37
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL