Nov 26, 2012, 3:43 PM EST
Smith, 24, is coming off a breakout campaign in Ottawa in which he posted career-highs in games played (81), goals (14) assists (12) and points (26).
He went on to appear in all seven opening-round playoff games against the Rangers and, shortly thereafter, agreed to a four-year, $7.5 million extension with the club.
According to the White Hawks website, Smith was signed based on a recommendation from Sens teammate Peter Regin, one of the few Danish players in the NHL (Regin used to play with Herning of the AL-Bank Ligaen.)
Speaking of Smith’s teammates….
He’ll join fellow Sens forward Colin Greening in the Danish league, as Greening inked with Aalborg in late October. Greening has 9G-9A-18PTS in 10 games thus far — he and Nashville defenseman Kevin Klein are the league’s two most noteworthy NHL imports.
Oh yeah, one of the league’s biggest sponsors is Dong Energy, Denmark’s leading energy company. Have fun with that in the comments section.
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 20
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 14
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)