Nov 26, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
Smith, 24, is coming off a breakout campaign in Ottawa in which he posted career-highs in games played (81), goals (14) assists (12) and points (26).
He went on to appear in all seven opening-round playoff games against the Rangers and, shortly thereafter, agreed to a four-year, $7.5 million extension with the club.
According to the White Hawks website, Smith was signed based on a recommendation from Sens teammate Peter Regin, one of the few Danish players in the NHL (Regin used to play with Herning of the AL-Bank Ligaen.)
Speaking of Smith’s teammates….
He’ll join fellow Sens forward Colin Greening in the Danish league, as Greening inked with Aalborg in late October. Greening has 9G-9A-18PTS in 10 games thus far — he and Nashville defenseman Kevin Klein are the league’s two most noteworthy NHL imports.
Oh yeah, one of the league’s biggest sponsors is Dong Energy, Denmark’s leading energy company. Have fun with that in the comments section.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)