Nov 26, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
Smith, 24, is coming off a breakout campaign in Ottawa in which he posted career-highs in games played (81), goals (14) assists (12) and points (26).
He went on to appear in all seven opening-round playoff games against the Rangers and, shortly thereafter, agreed to a four-year, $7.5 million extension with the club.
According to the White Hawks website, Smith was signed based on a recommendation from Sens teammate Peter Regin, one of the few Danish players in the NHL (Regin used to play with Herning of the AL-Bank Ligaen.)
Speaking of Smith’s teammates….
He’ll join fellow Sens forward Colin Greening in the Danish league, as Greening inked with Aalborg in late October. Greening has 9G-9A-18PTS in 10 games thus far — he and Nashville defenseman Kevin Klein are the league’s two most noteworthy NHL imports.
Oh yeah, one of the league’s biggest sponsors is Dong Energy, Denmark’s leading energy company. Have fun with that in the comments section.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 42
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)