Nov 26, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
Smith, 24, is coming off a breakout campaign in Ottawa in which he posted career-highs in games played (81), goals (14) assists (12) and points (26).
He went on to appear in all seven opening-round playoff games against the Rangers and, shortly thereafter, agreed to a four-year, $7.5 million extension with the club.
According to the White Hawks website, Smith was signed based on a recommendation from Sens teammate Peter Regin, one of the few Danish players in the NHL (Regin used to play with Herning of the AL-Bank Ligaen.)
Speaking of Smith’s teammates….
He’ll join fellow Sens forward Colin Greening in the Danish league, as Greening inked with Aalborg in late October. Greening has 9G-9A-18PTS in 10 games thus far — he and Nashville defenseman Kevin Klein are the league’s two most noteworthy NHL imports.
Oh yeah, one of the league’s biggest sponsors is Dong Energy, Denmark’s leading energy company. Have fun with that in the comments section.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 7
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 22
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22