Nov 26, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Red Bull Salzburg will have a decidedly Columbus-ian feel over the next little while.
“This is something Derek has been thinking about for some time now,” Dorsett’s agent, Alain Roy, told The Columbus Dispatch. “Once they canceled games (on Friday) through Dec. 15, well, that means he’ll get to spend at least a month over there.”
The Saskatchewan native has spent his entire career with the Blue Jackets organization and scored a career-high 12 goals last year — impressive, considering he scored 12 goals combined from 2008-11.
The Blue Jackets thought so highly of Dorsett last year they made him a temporary alternate captain and signed him to a three-year, $4.9 million deal in May.
In Salzburg, Dorsett will play alongside Brassard and fellow locked-out NHLer Johnny Boychuk, who signed on back in mid-November.
The team also features veteran goalie Alex Auld and former North Stars, Nordiques, Flames and Ducks head coach Pierre Page.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)