Nov 26, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Red Bull Salzburg will have a decidedly Columbus-ian feel over the next little while.
“This is something Derek has been thinking about for some time now,” Dorsett’s agent, Alain Roy, told The Columbus Dispatch. “Once they canceled games (on Friday) through Dec. 15, well, that means he’ll get to spend at least a month over there.”
The Saskatchewan native has spent his entire career with the Blue Jackets organization and scored a career-high 12 goals last year — impressive, considering he scored 12 goals combined from 2008-11.
The Blue Jackets thought so highly of Dorsett last year they made him a temporary alternate captain and signed him to a three-year, $4.9 million deal in May.
In Salzburg, Dorsett will play alongside Brassard and fellow locked-out NHLer Johnny Boychuk, who signed on back in mid-November.
The team also features veteran goalie Alex Auld and former North Stars, Nordiques, Flames and Ducks head coach Pierre Page.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 18
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 25
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 27
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 13
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 83
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm