Nov 26, 2012, 10:58 AM EDT
Red Bull Salzburg will have a decidedly Columbus-ian feel over the next little while.
“This is something Derek has been thinking about for some time now,” Dorsett’s agent, Alain Roy, told The Columbus Dispatch. “Once they canceled games (on Friday) through Dec. 15, well, that means he’ll get to spend at least a month over there.”
The Saskatchewan native has spent his entire career with the Blue Jackets organization and scored a career-high 12 goals last year — impressive, considering he scored 12 goals combined from 2008-11.
The Blue Jackets thought so highly of Dorsett last year they made him a temporary alternate captain and signed him to a three-year, $4.9 million deal in May.
In Salzburg, Dorsett will play alongside Brassard and fellow locked-out NHLer Johnny Boychuk, who signed on back in mid-November.
The team also features veteran goalie Alex Auld and former North Stars, Nordiques, Flames and Ducks head coach Pierre Page.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 9
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)