Nov 26, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Over the weekend, Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune passed along word that veteran NHLer Mark Parrish had called it a career.
Parrish is currently acting as a color commentator for St. Cloud State, his alma mater, and hopes to get into coaching one day.
The 35-year-old spent last season on a one-year, two-way deal with Ottawa, but never got into a game with the Sens, spending the entire season in AHL Binghamton where he posted solid numbers (15G-15A-30PTS in 51 games.)
Parrish last played in the NHL during the 2010-11 season, appearing in two games with the Buffalo Sabres.
His prime years occurred in the early 2000s when, as a member of the Panthers and Islanders, he scored 20-plus goals in six of seven seasons.
Parrish’s best-ever campaign came in 2001-02 with New York. He potted a career-high 30 goals (tying him with Brett Hull, Luc Robitaille and Marian Gaborik) and made his first and only All-Star Game.
The Minnesota native represented Team USA six times — three times at the World Championships, twice at the World Juniors and once at the Olympics — and is still being paid $927,778 annually by the Wild, who bought out his five-year, $13.25 million deal in 2008.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 42
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 77
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (77)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)