Nov 26, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Florida Panthers defenseman Erik Gudbranson was tired but relieved on Monday following his first on-ice workout since injuring his shoulder while “training” in September, the Miami Herald’s George Richards reports.
“I’m not going to lie, this is tough,” Gudbranson said.
Admitting the true nature of his shoulder injury – which required surgery – was also tough, but he made the cause public today, as well.
As it turns out, the 20-year-old blueliner lost his right to continue collecting paychecks during the lockout because he hurt himself while wakeboarding, not training.
In the event that you’re prepping some “Erik Johnson on water” jokes, Gudbranson insists that he wasn’t being reckless.
“I wasn’t being stupid, it was just an unfortunate, awkward fall,” Gudbranson said.
In hindsight, he does admit that it was probably a bad decision, however.
“I wasn’t hurt playing hockey. I have learned from my mistakes,” Gudbranson said. “I needed to be honest with them. The players have been transparent during the lockout and I felt it was my duty to the Panthers to be transparent and honest with them. I hurt myself and it was unfortunate. I learned something the hard way. But I’m everything I can to get back on the ice.”
It’s reasonable that he isn’t get paid because of the cause of his injury, but Richards reports that lockout rules means he can’t speak with Panthers trainer David Zenobi about his rehab.
Instead, he’s more or less left on his own. On the bright side, he told Richards that he was “a little surprised at how good it felt” to get back on the ice.
If all goes well, Richards reports that Gudbranson is targeting a January AHL return – whether the lockout wages on or not.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:45 PM EDT
He was expecting a two or three year contract.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 26-year-old refuted the report in Ilta-Sanomat.
Sep 2, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
The 23-year-old appeared in 38 games with Chicago last season.
Sep 2, 2015, 1:57 PM EDT
“I’m a realist. If nothing happens, that’s the way it is.”
Sep 2, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
Can he beat out Cam Talbot and Ben Scrivens?
Sep 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
“I know that it’s not just me that feels I can be a lot better and be the player that I know I’m going to be and I want to be.”
Sep 2, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
Another diamond in the rough?
Sep 2, 2015, 10:59 AM EDT
He also wanted them to get swept in the opening playoff round against Nashville, apparently.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:54 AM EDT
After missing most of last season with a back injury.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
It will be raised before the home opener on Oct. 10.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Sep 1, 2015, 10:11 PM EDT
They were near the bottom of the league in that regard last season.
Sep 1, 2015, 9:03 PM EDT
“The way he offered his house to me shows what kind of person he is.”
Sep 1, 2015, 7:33 PM EDT
They had strong attendance numbers last season too.
Sep 1, 2015, 6:04 PM EDT
The Blues have a vacancy with Patrik Berglund out for at least four months.
Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
A few players have leapfrogged Steven Stamkos.
Sep 1, 2015, 3:35 PM EDT
He played through the injury in 2014-15.
Sep 1, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
That’s per L.A. GM Dean Lombardi.
Sep 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
Which leaves the question — would they make a move?
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 29
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 112
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (113)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)