Nov 26, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Florida Panthers defenseman Erik Gudbranson was tired but relieved on Monday following his first on-ice workout since injuring his shoulder while “training” in September, the Miami Herald’s George Richards reports.
“I’m not going to lie, this is tough,” Gudbranson said.
Admitting the true nature of his shoulder injury – which required surgery – was also tough, but he made the cause public today, as well.
As it turns out, the 20-year-old blueliner lost his right to continue collecting paychecks during the lockout because he hurt himself while wakeboarding, not training.
In the event that you’re prepping some “Erik Johnson on water” jokes, Gudbranson insists that he wasn’t being reckless.
“I wasn’t being stupid, it was just an unfortunate, awkward fall,” Gudbranson said.
In hindsight, he does admit that it was probably a bad decision, however.
“I wasn’t hurt playing hockey. I have learned from my mistakes,” Gudbranson said. “I needed to be honest with them. The players have been transparent during the lockout and I felt it was my duty to the Panthers to be transparent and honest with them. I hurt myself and it was unfortunate. I learned something the hard way. But I’m everything I can to get back on the ice.”
It’s reasonable that he isn’t get paid because of the cause of his injury, but Richards reports that lockout rules means he can’t speak with Panthers trainer David Zenobi about his rehab.
Instead, he’s more or less left on his own. On the bright side, he told Richards that he was “a little surprised at how good it felt” to get back on the ice.
If all goes well, Richards reports that Gudbranson is targeting a January AHL return – whether the lockout wages on or not.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
No penalty on the play.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:10 PM EDT
He made his postseason debut in Game 4.
Apr 25, 2015, 6:03 PM EDT
Plenty of life on Long Island.
Apr 25, 2015, 5:48 PM EDT
Apr 25, 2015, 5:20 PM EDT
Keep this bounce in mind in the third period.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:58 PM EDT
He’s been ruled out of the series due to a rib injury.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT
Carlson has his first of the playoffs.
Apr 25, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT
Kudos to the Cambria County War Memorial Arena in Johnstown, Pennsylvania and the Decatur Civic Center in Decatur, Illinois.
Apr 25, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He’ll backup for a fourth straight game.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:55 PM EDT
New York, Nashville and Vancouver are all facing elimination today.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
Both were in their first season with the hockey club.
Apr 25, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT
He helped Russia win gold last year.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
Happened on Wednesday in Vancouver.
Apr 25, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Bickell and Versteeg swap spots.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:25 PM EDT
“Thought it was a typo.”
Apr 25, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He declined an invite to the Worlds because of the injury.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:45 AM EDT
He announced his retirement from international competition nearly a year ago.
Apr 25, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
Canucks , Preds and Islanders look to avoid elimination.
Apr 25, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
St. Louis couldn’t capitalize on an early lead.
Apr 24, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Pittsburgh and Ottawa need to win to survive.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 15
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 13
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)