Nov 26, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
Florida Panthers defenseman Erik Gudbranson was tired but relieved on Monday following his first on-ice workout since injuring his shoulder while “training” in September, the Miami Herald’s George Richards reports.
“I’m not going to lie, this is tough,” Gudbranson said.
Admitting the true nature of his shoulder injury – which required surgery – was also tough, but he made the cause public today, as well.
As it turns out, the 20-year-old blueliner lost his right to continue collecting paychecks during the lockout because he hurt himself while wakeboarding, not training.
In the event that you’re prepping some “Erik Johnson on water” jokes, Gudbranson insists that he wasn’t being reckless.
“I wasn’t being stupid, it was just an unfortunate, awkward fall,” Gudbranson said.
In hindsight, he does admit that it was probably a bad decision, however.
“I wasn’t hurt playing hockey. I have learned from my mistakes,” Gudbranson said. “I needed to be honest with them. The players have been transparent during the lockout and I felt it was my duty to the Panthers to be transparent and honest with them. I hurt myself and it was unfortunate. I learned something the hard way. But I’m everything I can to get back on the ice.”
It’s reasonable that he isn’t get paid because of the cause of his injury, but Richards reports that lockout rules means he can’t speak with Panthers trainer David Zenobi about his rehab.
Instead, he’s more or less left on his own. On the bright side, he told Richards that he was “a little surprised at how good it felt” to get back on the ice.
If all goes well, Richards reports that Gudbranson is targeting a January AHL return – whether the lockout wages on or not.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)