Nov 26, 2012, 12:19 PM EDT
Nothing is officially planned yet, but NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly expects collective bargaining to resume this week, according to an email he wrote to QMI Agency.
The league and players last met on Wednesday when the NHLPA submitted a new proposal that, according to union leader Donald Fehr, was met with “no reciprocity” from the NHL.
Commissioner Gary Bettman sounded a slightly more optimistic tone following Wednesday’s meeting, though he admitted the two sides remained “far apart.”
Two issues remain at the forefront of the dispute. The first is money. The NHLPA claims the two sides are just $182 million apart over the life of the players’ five-year offer.
The second is contract rights. The league wants to end back-diving deals, cap contract lengths at five years and for players to become eligible for unrestricted free agency a year later than under the last CBA. The union, meanwhile, wants things to stay more or less the same, though it did propose a way to punish teams that front-load deals in order to subvert the spirit of the salary cap.
Mar 14, 2014, 4:38 PM EDT
Specifically, playing right wing instead of left.
Mar 14, 2014, 3:39 PM EDT
Yep, another Penguins-Flyers series is a possibility.
Mar 14, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 14, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
Lots going on here.
Mar 14, 2014, 2:12 PM EDT
The 30-year-old suffered an ankle injury during the Olympics
Mar 14, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
IOC finds “no indication of any intent of the athlete to improve his performance by taking a prohibited substance.”
Mar 14, 2014, 1:19 PM EDT
Ex-NHL netminder dishes on the latest from around the league.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT
His second in the last 12 months.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
Is New Jersey coach Pete DeBoer headed for another big disappointment?
Mar 14, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
Yet another tough blow for Vancouver.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:07 PM EDT
21-year-old Johan Sundstrom is set to make his NHL debut vs. San Jose.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Tuukka at the top.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Looks like no Horcoff, Eakin or Lehtonen in a key battle for playoff positioning.
Mar 14, 2014, 11:06 AM EDT
Back-to-back games for Pittsburgh and Philly.
Mar 14, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
They surprised a lot of people by giving up a second round pick to acquire him from Calgary.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
The severity of his injury isn’t known yet.
Mar 14, 2014, 8:03 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 14, 2014, 1:31 AM EDT
Quite the position the goalie found himself in.
Mar 14, 2014, 12:27 AM EDT
St. Louis overpowered Edmonton in the third period.
Mar 13, 2014, 11:44 PM EDT
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 4
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 23
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 45
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 18
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 11
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 25
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 98
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 38
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (73)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)