Nov 25, 2012, 5:40 PM EST
Various outlets report that Steve Fehr and Bill Daly spoke Sunday, but every indication is that “nothing substantive” happened. With December approaching, one might ask: how can this possibly be resolved?
The New York Post’s Larry Brooks thinks that the NHL needs “a hero” to emerge in the board room, pointing to an expected Dec. 5 Board of Governors meeting as a time when someone might swoop in to save the day.
The NHL needs such a hero or two (or four or five) to emerge from the ranks of the Board of Governors in order to put a stop to the madness in which hockey is enmeshed. When the board meets in New York on Dec. 5, the NHL’s survival as we know it will depend on practical men flexing their vocal cords in opposition to the cabal of militants who have seized the agenda and seem intent on committing what the Sabres’ Ryan Miller referred to on Friday as “brand suicide.”
Brooks points to a few candidates to heed the CBA signal, starting with big market teams.
He even wonders if New York Rangers owner James Dolan should speak up, even with his previous squabbles with Gary Bettman in mind.
Perhaps no one will listen to Dolan of the Rangers — who stands to lose at least $60 million if the puck isn’t dropped just as his team would be denied its shot at the Cup — just as no one listened to him a few years ago when he petitioned the board to dismiss Gary Bettman, but silence from the Blueshirts’ CEO simply would be unacceptable.
Heroes tend to emerge in the darkest times, after all.
Dec 8, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Los Angeles has been great during his recovery process.
Dec 8, 2013, 3:34 PM EST
Mason might not get that much, but he’s certainly in line for a big raise.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
His Boston Bruins will play there on Tuesday.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:59 PM EST
Meanwhile it’s Niemi vs Harding in Minnesota.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:11 PM EST
“It was just bad in here.”
Dec 8, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Adding to what was already a rough night for Boston and Pittsburgh.
Dec 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EST
Meanwhile the Flyers will play in Ottawa on Monday.
Dec 8, 2013, 10:44 AM EST
They’re 14 points out of a playoff spot.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:51 AM EST
They’re playing without Tyler Bozak and Dave Bolland.
Dec 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
He would have preferred they talked about the rookie goalie that just got his first shutout.
Dec 8, 2013, 2:01 AM EST
Is the end coming for Jack Capuano?
Dec 8, 2013, 1:28 AM EST
This chapter in the Battle of Alberta goes to Calgary.
Dec 8, 2013, 1:05 AM EST
Three straight losses to Pacific Division giants.
Dec 8, 2013, 12:18 AM EST
Toronto outshot yet again.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:40 PM EST
Reported blow to the head.
Dec 7, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
Another dirty incident.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Happened on first shift.
Dec 7, 2013, 10:28 PM EST
‘I made a mistake’
Dec 7, 2013, 10:08 PM EST
Dec 7, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Has a history with concussions.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 8
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 84
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 75
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 66
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (84)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)