Nov 25, 2012, 5:40 PM EDT
Various outlets report that Steve Fehr and Bill Daly spoke Sunday, but every indication is that “nothing substantive” happened. With December approaching, one might ask: how can this possibly be resolved?
The New York Post’s Larry Brooks thinks that the NHL needs “a hero” to emerge in the board room, pointing to an expected Dec. 5 Board of Governors meeting as a time when someone might swoop in to save the day.
The NHL needs such a hero or two (or four or five) to emerge from the ranks of the Board of Governors in order to put a stop to the madness in which hockey is enmeshed. When the board meets in New York on Dec. 5, the NHL’s survival as we know it will depend on practical men flexing their vocal cords in opposition to the cabal of militants who have seized the agenda and seem intent on committing what the Sabres’ Ryan Miller referred to on Friday as “brand suicide.”
Brooks points to a few candidates to heed the CBA signal, starting with big market teams.
He even wonders if New York Rangers owner James Dolan should speak up, even with his previous squabbles with Gary Bettman in mind.
Perhaps no one will listen to Dolan of the Rangers — who stands to lose at least $60 million if the puck isn’t dropped just as his team would be denied its shot at the Cup — just as no one listened to him a few years ago when he petitioned the board to dismiss Gary Bettman, but silence from the Blueshirts’ CEO simply would be unacceptable.
Heroes tend to emerge in the darkest times, after all.
Sep 23, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
Is Detroit in for another injury-filled year?
Sep 23, 2014, 7:53 AM EDT
That’s a picture of Marguerite Moreau, who played Connie.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 4
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 33
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)