Nov 24, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
Unfortunately, labor discord has cost the NHL and its fans another two weeks worth of games through December 14 as well as the All-Star Game.
Now it’s time for us to ponder what could’ve been (much like we’ve done before) and taking a look at the five games we’ll miss the most between December 1-14.
December 1: Washington vs. Carolina
Alex Semin‘s not-so triumphant return to Verizon Center in Washington would’ve been a fun way to kick off the month. After wearing out his welcome with the Caps and teasing going to the KHL, Semin signed a monster one-year deal with Carolina to presumably torture Alex Ovechkin and his former teammates in the Southeast Division. You can’t help but wonder how loud the boos would be for this game.
December 5: Washington vs. NY Rangers
Who doesn’t love a playoff rematch? The Caps and Rangers played one of the tightest seven-game series in recent memory last spring and seeing new head coach Adam Oates send Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom into attack against Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers would make for a fascinating game… If it happened.
December 8: Toronto vs. Boston
All right, you’re probably tired of the Phil Kessel trade needling by now, but there was a good chance a fully armed and operational Bruins team with all pieces from that hotly debated deal would be on the ice. Sure there’s Kessel against Tyler Seguin, but Dougie Hamilton too against a potentially poor Leafs team? It would’ve been a good night for lots of boos from the Leafs faithful.
Ric Flair always said, “To be the man, you gotta beat the man” and seeing the new look Wild against the defending Stanley Cup champions would’ve made for a fun one. After all, it’d be Zach Parise lining up against Anze Kopitar, Drew Doughty, and Jonathan Quick just like they did in June. Add in Ryan Suter, Mikael Granlund, and Charlie Coyle for the Wild and you would’ve had a heck of a showcase for young talent.
December 10: Detroit vs. Boston
So just how would the slightly new-look Red Wings fare against a potentially beastly Bruins team? Sure, the Wings would have Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg to dazzle and line up against Zdeno Chara, but how would a Nick Lidstrom-free Wings blue line be able to handle Seguin, Patrice Bergeron, and a healthy Nathan Horton? Niklas Kronwall and Carlo Colaiacovo would have their hands full handling them and Milan Lucic. Yikes. Maybe the Wings are better off missing out on this one.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:39 PM EST
In other news, it appears as though David Krejci is on LTIR.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
Canucks requested the league take a closer look, but no evidence was found.
Feb 26, 2015, 6:27 PM EST
Feb 26, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
Head coach Joel Quenneville said it’s “all news to me.”
Feb 26, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
A familiar face goes back to the Toronto organization.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:49 PM EST
Buy hey, you never know.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:39 PM EST
Bold move from Florida GM Dale Tallon.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:35 PM EST
Looking forward to playing “a better role.”
Feb 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EST
Joining the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Magic Johnson, Jerry West, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Chick Hearn and Oscar De La Hoya.
Feb 26, 2015, 4:06 PM EST
Former “CPR Line” line member is headed back to St. Louis.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:42 PM EST
A lost campaign for the veteran Sharks forward.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
“People are getting excited for mid-range players.”
Feb 26, 2015, 2:31 PM EST
A couple of tweets are causing a stir in Chicago.
Feb 26, 2015, 2:24 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Feb 26, 2015, 2:02 PM EST
But, his agent says the organization has “respected our position of leaving negotiations until after the season.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:42 PM EST
“We would love to have him as an Av for a long time.”
Feb 26, 2015, 1:09 PM EST
Willie Desjardins, playing it safe.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:02 PM EST
The two teams meet again, just 48 hours after the incident.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:43 PM EST
Just days after he said he’d report to AHL Norfolk.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:12 PM EST
Has 16 goals and 21 assists this season.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 37
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 75
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (75)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)