Nov 24, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman estimated on Wednesday that the NHL is losing between $18 million to $20 million per day as a result of this lockout, based on a Globe and Mail report. That’s unfortunate, but of course they aren’t the only ones losing money over this work stoppage.
The tourism bureau VisitPittsburgh did a study and found that each Pittsburgh home game generates $2.1 million worth of local revenue. Somewhere in the range of $1 million and $1.3 million goes to the Penguins, while others businesses like restaurants and hotels collect the rest, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
That information seems all the more relevant after the NHL canceled all contests from Dec. 1-14 yesterday. That took three Penguins home games off the map. While they could still be replaced if the season is saved, as things currently stand those canceled games alone might cost local businesses more than $2.4 million and the Penguins even more than that.
And of course, that’s just the impact of one out of 30 teams. On top of that, a Winter Classic and an All-Star Game have been lost — both of which could have bolstered local economies and attracted tourism.
The question is how much more money will slip away from businesses that would otherwise benefit from the NHL before this lockout ends.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 6
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 16
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)