Nov 24, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman estimated on Wednesday that the NHL is losing between $18 million to $20 million per day as a result of this lockout, based on a Globe and Mail report. That’s unfortunate, but of course they aren’t the only ones losing money over this work stoppage.
The tourism bureau VisitPittsburgh did a study and found that each Pittsburgh home game generates $2.1 million worth of local revenue. Somewhere in the range of $1 million and $1.3 million goes to the Penguins, while others businesses like restaurants and hotels collect the rest, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
That information seems all the more relevant after the NHL canceled all contests from Dec. 1-14 yesterday. That took three Penguins home games off the map. While they could still be replaced if the season is saved, as things currently stand those canceled games alone might cost local businesses more than $2.4 million and the Penguins even more than that.
And of course, that’s just the impact of one out of 30 teams. On top of that, a Winter Classic and an All-Star Game have been lost — both of which could have bolstered local economies and attracted tourism.
The question is how much more money will slip away from businesses that would otherwise benefit from the NHL before this lockout ends.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 2
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 10
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 41
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 25
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal