Nov 24, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
Luke Richardson’s tenure as the head coach of the AHL Binghamton Senators is off to a great start. The Ottawa Senators-affiliate had a 9-4-1-1 record going into Saturday’s action and his players think he’s “awesome,” according to the Ottawa Citizen.
It helps that Richardson was well prepared for this job. He was an assistant coach with the Ottawa Senators for years and, of course, he has 1,417 games worth of experience as an NHL defenseman.
“A lot of the coaches who have had success in the NHL have had good relationships with their players, and I think that’s why we’re having success right now,” Binghamton Senators defenseman Patrick Wiercioch said. “A lot of the time, when you think you’re the only one going through something, and you talk to (Richardson) about it, he can relate to it and tell you stuff he did to get through certain weeks, certain months.
“You take it to heart more when you see what he did, because to have the career he did is something we all want.”
Richardson said that he likes to create relationships with the players and be the type of coach that they can joke with and talk about everyday stuff.
“But when I’m on the ice and I blow the whistle and I’m a little huffy, I have to have their respect and they have to listen to me,” Richardson added. “And even if they’re a little upset with me, that’s normal, that’s fine. But the next day I’m going to be over it, and hopefully they’re over it. And if they’re not over it, then it’s not my problem, it’s their problem.
“They can come and talk about a situation that we disagree about, and we still may disagree even after we’ve talked, but at least we’ve talked about it.”
Richardson thinks that his relationship with his players has been good so far and the results have certainly been positive.
Oct 23, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Colorado could really use a win.
Oct 23, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
“Mirco’s not going anywhere.”
Oct 23, 2014, 3:36 PM EDT
And it’s a pretty impressive projected top six.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:23 PM EDT
Washington’s looked pretty darn good under Barry Trotz.
Oct 23, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
“I thought our team was really resilient,” said Dan Hamhuis.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Oct 23, 2014, 2:19 PM EDT
“He never back-talked.”
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
So says his coach. (And rightly so.)
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
They’re first and second in the Central Division, and neither has lost in regulation yet.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Postponed in the wake of the Ottawa shootings.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
It’s a special teams extravaganza!
Oct 23, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Says he was never asked to increase ice time of youngsters returning from injury.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
“He’s playing great.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
A court date has been set for Dec. 1.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
Probably a figurative slap.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Islanders defenseman spent six seasons with the Bruins
Oct 23, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
He’s in the American Hockey League to start 2014-15.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Looks better than one might expect.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:13 AM EDT
Meanwhile, Buffalo scored!
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 8
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 18
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 80
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (80)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)