Nov 24, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
Luke Richardson’s tenure as the head coach of the AHL Binghamton Senators is off to a great start. The Ottawa Senators-affiliate had a 9-4-1-1 record going into Saturday’s action and his players think he’s “awesome,” according to the Ottawa Citizen.
It helps that Richardson was well prepared for this job. He was an assistant coach with the Ottawa Senators for years and, of course, he has 1,417 games worth of experience as an NHL defenseman.
“A lot of the coaches who have had success in the NHL have had good relationships with their players, and I think that’s why we’re having success right now,” Binghamton Senators defenseman Patrick Wiercioch said. “A lot of the time, when you think you’re the only one going through something, and you talk to (Richardson) about it, he can relate to it and tell you stuff he did to get through certain weeks, certain months.
“You take it to heart more when you see what he did, because to have the career he did is something we all want.”
Richardson said that he likes to create relationships with the players and be the type of coach that they can joke with and talk about everyday stuff.
“But when I’m on the ice and I blow the whistle and I’m a little huffy, I have to have their respect and they have to listen to me,” Richardson added. “And even if they’re a little upset with me, that’s normal, that’s fine. But the next day I’m going to be over it, and hopefully they’re over it. And if they’re not over it, then it’s not my problem, it’s their problem.
“They can come and talk about a situation that we disagree about, and we still may disagree even after we’ve talked, but at least we’ve talked about it.”
Richardson thinks that his relationship with his players has been good so far and the results have certainly been positive.
May 24, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Degree of difficulty: high.
May 24, 2015, 9:15 PM EDT
Blocking shots can be a grind, too, after all.
May 24, 2015, 8:07 PM EDT
May 24, 2015, 7:37 PM EDT
No clarification on what would qualify as “dramatic.”
May 24, 2015, 6:52 PM EDT
Who will grab a 3-2 series lead?
May 24, 2015, 5:58 PM EDT
Can Anaheim grind this series out?
May 24, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Things weren’t a “perfect fit” for the blue liner in Nashville.
May 24, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
He coached Edmonton to a 17-25-9 record after Dallas Eakins was fired in December.
May 24, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
He’s gone nine games without a point.
May 24, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
He has not played since April 24.
May 24, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s set to become an unrestricted free agent in July.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
He missed Game 4 due to an undisclosed injury.
May 24, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
He owes St. Louis one more season.
May 24, 2015, 10:46 AM EDT
He has not coached since being fired by the Penguins last June.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
- Video: Lundqvist snares Stamkos’ scary shot 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 5
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 25
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)