Nov 24, 2012, 8:22 PM EDT
Luke Richardson’s tenure as the head coach of the AHL Binghamton Senators is off to a great start. The Ottawa Senators-affiliate had a 9-4-1-1 record going into Saturday’s action and his players think he’s “awesome,” according to the Ottawa Citizen.
It helps that Richardson was well prepared for this job. He was an assistant coach with the Ottawa Senators for years and, of course, he has 1,417 games worth of experience as an NHL defenseman.
“A lot of the coaches who have had success in the NHL have had good relationships with their players, and I think that’s why we’re having success right now,” Binghamton Senators defenseman Patrick Wiercioch said. “A lot of the time, when you think you’re the only one going through something, and you talk to (Richardson) about it, he can relate to it and tell you stuff he did to get through certain weeks, certain months.
“You take it to heart more when you see what he did, because to have the career he did is something we all want.”
Richardson said that he likes to create relationships with the players and be the type of coach that they can joke with and talk about everyday stuff.
“But when I’m on the ice and I blow the whistle and I’m a little huffy, I have to have their respect and they have to listen to me,” Richardson added. “And even if they’re a little upset with me, that’s normal, that’s fine. But the next day I’m going to be over it, and hopefully they’re over it. And if they’re not over it, then it’s not my problem, it’s their problem.
“They can come and talk about a situation that we disagree about, and we still may disagree even after we’ve talked, but at least we’ve talked about it.”
Richardson thinks that his relationship with his players has been good so far and the results have certainly been positive.
May 22, 2013, 2:59 AM EDT
He was pretty good.
May 22, 2013, 2:23 AM EDT
Series tied 2-2.
May 22, 2013, 1:29 AM EDT
You be the judge.
May 22, 2013, 1:07 AM EDT
An apology was issued.
May 22, 2013, 12:54 AM EDT
Turning into a heck of a series.
May 22, 2013, 12:21 AM EDT
Lots happening in this one. More highlights coming, by the way.
May 21, 2013, 11:26 PM EDT
Been dealing with plenty of traffic in front of him all throughout playoffs.
May 21, 2013, 11:14 PM EDT
Does the league take a look at this?
May 21, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT
Where did this scoring come from?
May 21, 2013, 10:19 PM EDT
The comments are now open.
May 21, 2013, 10:07 PM EDT
Both make their series debuts tonight.
May 21, 2013, 9:13 PM EDT
That’s a long way up to do that.
May 21, 2013, 7:37 PM EDT
This might be getting old to him by now.
May 21, 2013, 6:49 PM EDT
He was banged up roughly in Game 3.
May 21, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
A 13-percent rise from last year.
May 21, 2013, 5:22 PM EDT
Off to a surprising 2-1 series lead over Chicago.
May 21, 2013, 4:51 PM EDT
He’ll replace Peter Horachek, who was fired yesterday.
May 21, 2013, 4:49 PM EDT
(His brother is Patrick Roy.)
May 21, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
May 21, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Logan Couture says he’s “all good.”
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 11
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 18
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 22
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car