Nov 24, 2012, 11:04 PM EST
Kevin Shattenkirk is leaving for Finland to join TPS Turku of the SM-liiga, according to St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer Jeremy Rutherford. He’s just the latest locked-out NHLer to take refuge in Europe in the months since this lockout began.
Shattenkirk excelled in his rookie season with nine goals and 43 points in 72 games and was part of a high-profile and controversial trade that sent him from the Colorado Avalanche to the St. Louis Blues.
In St. Louis, he’s teamed up with Alex Pietrangelo to give the franchise an effective one-two punch of young offensive defensemen. For his part, Shattenkirk avoided the dreaded sophomore slump and matched his rookie total with another 43 points in 2011-12.
Before the lockout, Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo were getting ready to enter the final season of their respective entry-level contracts. They are both scheduled to become restricted free agents this summer.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 41
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)