Nov 24, 2012, 11:04 PM EDT
Kevin Shattenkirk is leaving for Finland to join TPS Turku of the SM-liiga, according to St. Louis Post-Dispatch writer Jeremy Rutherford. He’s just the latest locked-out NHLer to take refuge in Europe in the months since this lockout began.
Shattenkirk excelled in his rookie season with nine goals and 43 points in 72 games and was part of a high-profile and controversial trade that sent him from the Colorado Avalanche to the St. Louis Blues.
In St. Louis, he’s teamed up with Alex Pietrangelo to give the franchise an effective one-two punch of young offensive defensemen. For his part, Shattenkirk avoided the dreaded sophomore slump and matched his rookie total with another 43 points in 2011-12.
Before the lockout, Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo were getting ready to enter the final season of their respective entry-level contracts. They are both scheduled to become restricted free agents this summer.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 11
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)