Nov 23, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
The Sharks continue to swim across the Atlantic.
With the move, Braun became the third Shark to sign in Europe over the last two weeks. Backup netminder Thomas Greiss signed in Germany on Monday and the week prior, Michal Handzus inked with a Slovak Extraliga club.
Braun, 25, is coming off a breakthrough campaign in San Jose where he played in a career-high 66 games, scoring 2G-9A-11PTS while averaging 16:33 TOI per game.
The former University of Massachusetts standout also appeared in all five of the Sharks’ opening-round playoff contests against St. Louis, where his ice time increased to 17:55 per game.
In late June, Braun was rewarded for his efforts with a three-year, $3.75 million extension from the club.
As for playing in Finland…
Braun will join a Tappara lineup that’s been bolstered by some recent lockout signings. Ex-Minnesota Wild defenseman Kurtis Foster recently signed on and he was soon followed by Vancouver forward Jannik Hansen, who has posted six points in his first six SM-liiga contests.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)