Nov 23, 2012, 8:11 PM EST
When this lockout ends — and someday it will — the Nashville Predators will face the task of staying competitive without Ryan Suter. That task will rely heavily on their young and emerging defensemen, like Ryan Ellis.
Like many other emerging talents, Ellis was given the option to develop his game in the AHL for the duration of the lockout, but he couldn’t take full advantage of that opportunity at first due to a broken wrist. Now he’s better and was able to make his 2012-13 debut on Tuesday.
Ellis is known for his offensive abilities, but as long as the lockout is forcing him to play in the minors, the Predators are hoping that he’ll work on honing his defensive game, according to the Tennessean.
“No question, with his size, he will have to work at that end of his game,” Admirals coach Dean Evason said. “He knows how to defend. It’s now a matter of defending against bigger, stronger men.”
Ellis split the 2011-12 campaign between the AHL and NHL and ended up playing in three contests during the Predators 2012 playoff run. Suter’s departure presents Ellis with an opportunity, but he’ll have to compete with Nashville’s other promising young defensemen, Roman Josi and Jonathon Blum, for playing time and maybe even a roster spot once the lockout ends.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 PM EST
Steve Mason was solid in his first start since undergoing knee surgery.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EST
He’s continuing to make his case for the art Trophy.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:12 PM EST
Chicago also added Kimmo Timonen on Friday.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Stakes are high for Philadelphia after Boston and Florida won.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:50 PM EST
His leadership and the confidence that he brings might provide Florida with a big boost.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:24 PM EST
Arizona is threatening to drop to 29th in the NHL, which would be big as far as the draft lottery is concerned.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:51 PM EST
Philadelphia is trying to salvage its bid for a playoff spot.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:37 PM EST
A recent report suggests that Boston is interested.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:55 PM EST
He’s been released from the hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:02 PM EST
Alexey Marchenko scored his first career goal.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:34 PM EST
That gives some teams extra roster flexibility.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
Was injured on a hit from Seth Jones.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been the subject of trade rumors lately.
Feb 28, 2015, 3:35 PM EST
News and notes from around the blue paint…
Feb 28, 2015, 2:07 PM EST
The former Caps’ forward reunited with Bruce Boudreau.
Feb 28, 2015, 1:15 PM EST
He’s being evaluated in hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EST
Both are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
He’s an unrestricted free agent after this season.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:15 AM EST
Was acquired Thursday from Toronto.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Ottawa’s GM confirms he had talks with Toronto.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 0
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 28
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 0
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 4
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 38
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)