Nov 23, 2012, 9:39 PM EST
Mike Lundin agreed to a one-year, $1,150,000 contract with Ottawa over the summer. Obviously the lockout has prevented him from making his Senators debut, so instead he’ll spend some time with Almtuna IS of the Swedish second division, according to the team’s website.
Lundin is coming off a rough season where he missed significant chunks of time due to a back injury and a sports hernia. The latter required surgery and he missed the final 25 games of the regular season. He finished with two assists in 17 contests with the Minnesota Wild.
With that in mind, playing in Europe might prove to be particularly valuable for Lundin as he attempts to get back into game shape after going roughly nine months between contests.
When he was healthy, Lundin logged an average of 20:12 minutes per game with Minnesota and wasn’t afraid to block shots. If it wasn’t for the work stoppage, Lundin might have started the 2012-13 campaign on the Senators’ third defensive pairing.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)