Nov 23, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
On Friday, the International Ice Hockey Federation announced its “monster” class for induction into the Hall of Fame.
Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin, Teppo Numminen, Paul Henderson, Danielle Goyette, Gord Miller and Jan-Ake Edvinsson will be enshrined on May 19, 2013 — the same day gold medals will be awarded at the 77th IIHF World Championships in Stockholm.
Forsberg is the most decorated of all the entrants, becoming both the youngest player to enter the Triple Gold Club (World Championships, Olympics, Stanley Cup) and the only player ever to achieve the “double TGC”.
Of course, Foppa wouldn’t have achieved international success without Sundin, his Team Sweden running mate (the pair won Olympic gold together in ’06). Sundin also holds the distinction of being the first European player to ever be selected No. 1 overall at the NHL Entry Draft, when the Quebec Nordiques selected him in 1989.
Numminen played in four different Olympics — winning three medals — and will become part of the first father-son pair of inductees in IIHF history. Teppo’s father, Kalevi, was inducted as a builder in 2011.
Henderson’s contribution to the international game is iconic — he scored the Summit Series-clinching goal in 1972 as Canada defeated the Soviet Union. Henderson also played in the ’74 Summit Series and was twice inducted in the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame — in ’95 as an individual and in 2005 along with all players from the ’72 team.
Goyette, who represented Canada internationally in three Olympics and nine World Championships, was Canada’s flag-bearer at the 2006 Winter Olympics in Calgary. She scored an eye-popping 218 points in 171 games for Team Canada over the course of her career.
Miller is the 2013 recipient of the Paul Loicq Award, given for outstanding contribution to international hockey. miller has been the voice of the IIFH World Junior tournament for 18 years.
Edvinsson served as the IIHF’s highest executive for 21 years and is regarded as the “architect” of the International Ice Hockey Federation.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Mitts were dropped. Frequently.
Sep 22, 2014, 9:16 PM EDT
Good start for a guy on a two-way deal.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
Like Vancouver, for example.
Sep 22, 2014, 6:53 PM EDT
“We’ve got to wait to see how it heals.”
Sep 22, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
He’s been unable to skate since camp started.
Sep 22, 2014, 5:11 PM EDT
“You grow up playing hockey and you’re thinking ‘oh, I just want to play the game, it’s so much fun.’ Then you realize it is your job.”
Sep 22, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
But it “shouldn’t be a long-term, lingering thing.”
Sep 22, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Randy Carlyle is making some changes to the way Toronto defends.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:20 PM EDT
Currently there are 16 teams in the East and 14 in the West.
Sep 22, 2014, 2:02 PM EDT
“I think it’s been terribly mishandled by the player and the agent.”
Sep 22, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Kurt Overhardt has a warning for the frustrated Blue Jackets management.
Sep 22, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
“We know he has a great shot and that’s a bonus for him.”
Sep 22, 2014, 12:11 PM EDT
But Peter Karmanos wants to retain control of the team.
Sep 22, 2014, 11:39 AM EDT
“It’s nice having a little more freedom, in that regard, especially for the creativity that’s on our team,” says Beau Bennett.
Sep 22, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
“I think what we’re going to do as a team will be right up his alley.”
Sep 22, 2014, 10:02 AM EDT
He’ll get tougher assignments with Kimmo Timonen sidelined indefinitely.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:58 AM EDT
Colorado is counting on the duo to be very effective this season.
Sep 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)