Fan asks Chicago’s Bolland for “wanting Bettman dead” re-tweet, Bolland obliges

Nov 23, 2012, 3:22 PM EDT

Maybe this is what Don Cherry was talking about?

On Friday, Chicago Blackhawks forward Dave Bolland utilized Twitter’s re-tweet function — a feature that allows users to share someone else’s tweet with their followers — for this message:

source:

So…that happened.

Suppose the argument here is that Bolland didn’t write the message himself and was only passing along the frustrations of a fan.

But given what’s implicit in a re-tweet — and how offside this particular one was — the counter-argument is that common sense should’ve kept this from ever happening.

As for what it means on a larger scale, Bolland’s actions are just the latest in an ongoing series of anti-Bettman statements from players:

– Detroit Red Wings defenseman Ian White called him “an idiot.” (link)

– Florida forward Kris Versteeg called him and deputy commissioner Bill Daly “cancers.” (link)

– Montreal forward Brandon Prust tweeted that “Bettman’s autobiography is in stores now. It’s titled ‘how I destroyed a sport and a nation.'” (link)

Though no longer a part of the NHLPA, ex-player Jeff O’Neill tweeted “Bettman stop talking to the media. I wanna ‘make whole’ in your **** head.”

Finally, it’s worth noting that Bolland hasn’t always shown the greatest judgment when it comes to public image.

Last December, he referred to Daniel and Henrik Sedin as “the sisters” on a Chicago radio station, then said the city of Vancouver was full of “weirdos.”

He later backed off those comments, so don’t be surprised if that happens again.

Update: Surprise! Bolland has deleted the retweet. Or de-retweeted. Whatever.

1. duster1982 - Nov 23, 2012 at 3:27 PM

You cant make this stuff up. Unreal…

2. blkhwk21 - Nov 23, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Ha. That’s awesome. Shouldn’t have to delete it Bolland. Obviously nobody wants anyone dead, and Bettman is just the one taking the heat – each and every owner along with players are to blame.

3. dlk75150 - Nov 23, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Fehr and the players r to blame

• shoobiedoobin - Nov 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Everyone is to blame, quit being their puppet.

• tatdue - Nov 23, 2012 at 5:14 PM

You are the puppet. Blaming both sides is just helping the owners…..see ya back here in 6-7 years when the billionaire owners cry broke again….

• kitshky - Nov 26, 2012 at 3:53 PM

@tatdue … wow 3 figure thumbs down, and you’re literally the only comment that states documented fact.

This is a undeniable precedent set by the NHL, what in the world would make people believe the next CBA isn’t going to go down the same way with the owners holding the cards and demanding concessions to the deal *they* pushed through only 6 – 7 years before?

• shoobiedoobin - Nov 28, 2012 at 3:56 PM

tatdue, do you even have a clue why you’re saying this?

• shoobiedoobin - Nov 28, 2012 at 4:01 PM

And you guys act like the owners can just do this whenever they want, like no one’s around to police them. We police them-think about it. Strike every 6-7 years and eventually we’ll be as popular as table tennis and dog racing. Each side is to blame, and each side is dependent on the other. To make the claims tatdue is making is again like I said, taking sides and it’s exactly what one side or the other wants.

4. freneticgarfieldfan - Nov 23, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Such actions (on Kindergarden level) speak for themselves, about their intelligence that is.

• hockeyflow33 - Nov 23, 2012 at 4:25 PM

You may want to check your spelling before calling people out

5. bigoldorcafromvan - Nov 23, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I am surprised it took Beaken Bolland this long to get on the stage…

6. LoyalFan34yrsGoKings - Nov 23, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Ha ha ha!

7. blomfeld - Nov 23, 2012 at 5:49 PM

“said the city of Vancouver was full of “weirdos” ?

As a Vancouver resident and probably one of the sanest people posting here at PHT, I’ll have you know that I was greatly offended by this hurtful remark by Bolland last year. How dare he speak about us Vancouverites in such a horrible fashion ! LOL ! :) I remember when I first heard this that I couldn’t stop laughing for almost 10 minutes ! Of course you want stuff like this, as it makes for “good times” ! :)

• windmiller4 - Nov 23, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Lol at you being one of the sanest commenters here.. Ignorance is bliss my friend.. Maybe that would also explain your odd obsession with elvis. LOL

• blomfeld - Nov 23, 2012 at 6:31 PM

back off Windmill … seriously !

• windmiller4 - Nov 23, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Haha or what? your gonna send the ghost of your precious Overrated elvis after me? Maybe you’ll keep flaunting your kings again and blah blah same old story from you, Kings are the best, go elvis, and somehow you have inside information thats given you like 5 dates on when the lockout will end, all of which, might i add are wrong. Maybe you’d be better off just keeping your mouth shut on here, i think we’d all be better off not having to deal with your repetitive, idiotic comments … Seriously !

• blomfeld - Nov 23, 2012 at 8:03 PM

LOL !!!! … Eat your heart out Loser ! :)

• windmiller4 - Nov 25, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Jokes on you bud, i too am a kings fan, but i don’t feel the need to flaunt it all the time. A touch of humility would do you good.

• csimonetta9 - Nov 23, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Wait let me get this straight Blomfeld: You are a Vancouver resident, but you have said in recent posts that you have been an LA Kings fan for over 30 (maybe 40) years. Typical bandwagon fan. I guess you finally realized that the Canucks can’t finish in the playoffs. I believe everyone on here can say that you are definitely not one of the sanest people posting here on PHT.

• blomfeld - Nov 23, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Sanity is Over-rated !

@csimonetta – You sound new to PHT here, so welcome aboard ! :) I’ve actually been a King’s fan since ’73, though there were periods when I couldn’t have cared less (ie: the Dionne & post-Gretzky eras for example). Nonetheless, I was actually crazy about the Canucks from “day one” like everyone else here in 1970. And that first game against LA (ie: which the Canucks lost 3-1) will forever be etched in my memory. Anyway, my Canuckle love dissipated by 1973, such was their complete and utter ineptitude. And that’s when I discovered this “cool” team called the Los Angeles Kings ! Kozak, Komadouski, Carr, Murphy, Vachon, Maloney, Widing, Goring, etc … all “cool” guys playing on a “cool” team. It was love at first site for me and the rest is history ! :)

Blomfeld sidebar: The Canuck’s goalie from that first game (George Gardiner) many years later became a regular at our local Friday night watering hole. A helluva nice guy, but very sad how it went for him in the end.

• id4joey - Nov 24, 2012 at 8:52 AM

csimonetta9, what is the age limit to participate in this and all message boards on the internet? We’ll make sure to “lockout” ☺ anyone who is over age.

Signed,
        Kindergarten Cop

• csimonetta9 - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Well I am not new, but thanks for your opinion. No disrespect, but aren’t you a little too old to be arguing with people on a message board? I read all these posts every day and have to look at your thumbed-down comments and videos. And I’m glad you only gave your new franchise in Vancouver four seasons before you kicked them to the curb for a flashy “new” team in the states. You must be a great fan.

8. icarusai - Nov 23, 2012 at 6:33 PM

I live in Vancouver and it is full of “weirdos”

It is the quintessential west coast hippy freak place. Walking home after work I passed people protesting against fur right after walking past all the posters left up from last weekends 9/11 Truth convention that is held bi-montly on the steps of the art gallery and on 3 occasions had people smoking a joint in front of me. I also saw a man wearing leggings that were leopard print in addition to a person who appeared to be dressed up for Halloween but it is November 23rd. I could go on but I don’t have all day since I actually have a work ethic and respect for myself.

People here also regularly call the Sedin’s the “sisters”.

The issue here is I guess this guy doesn’t have the balls to stand up for what he says.

• blomfeld - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:28 AM

@icarusai – Let me put on my “serious” hat here and tell you that Vancouver is “Weirdo Central” !

Now I’m not sure how old you are, however I’ll tell you that I’m 53 years old and I’ve been living here since 1969 (ie: except for a period of 6 years living in Sweden and the US). Vancouver has always been a “strange” town to put it mildly. You name it, they’ve got it here in bushels, whether that’s hippies, freaks, parasites, murderers, metro’s, quacks, queens, nuts or beatniks ! It’s just always been that way, for whatever reason ? Nonetheless, I am concerned today, as I do see this “weirdo-ism” accelerating “exponentially” in recent years and I don’t like it one bit. I live on the west side (Broadway & Granville) and today I rarely even go downtown anymore, such is the “freakishness” of everything ! About the only thing which keeps me here are the beautiful mountains and the sea.

ps: God bless you and your “work ethic” ! … that’s sadly now become a dying “art form” here these days … ironically enough, I would argue that Vancouver doesn’t deserve the “old-fashioned” work ethic and values of the the Sedin brothers … this flaky and insincere town would be deserving so much more for the likes of an Ovechkin to satisfy their “plastic & superficial” hockey fix …

• haterzgonahate - Nov 24, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Vancouver is hardly “wierdo central”. overpriced and full of tree hugging free thinking hipsters yes.. but seriously.. it’s just like every other city in North America. man you make it sound like it’s so hard living here. you can always move.

• kitshky - Nov 26, 2012 at 4:01 PM

@icarusai … oh my gad, are you telling the streets of Vancouver are full of eclectic, eccentric, diverse people of wide ranging social, political, and financial spectrums!?

…and “on 3 occasions had people smoking a joint in front of [you]“!?! … I do declare, however do you and your sensitive constitution make it through the day??

So because people have differernt opinions, values, and choice in clothing than you … they don’t have work ethic and have no respect for themselves. Get some help dude. Seriously.

9. id4joey - Nov 23, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Bolland just showed us how much class he has. Ah! Well! What goes around comes around.

10. paledevil - Nov 23, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Like ticks on a dog parasite companies and people use twitter for business purposes.. A buck a retweet , manage your image , etc etc … For those of us who use it to just B.S. (Like Bolland) its is a whimsical frivolous running joke…
    Here’s the thing maybe the rest of you have not noticed Count Bettman likes being the target Likes the bad man role

• blomfeld - Nov 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Yes, I sadly fear that “connectivity” is doing nothing more than “accelerating” our preordained race to oblivion … :(

11. eagles512 - Nov 23, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Borland should get a 1 year suspension for stupidity

12. youngs79 - Nov 24, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I get the fact that both sides are at fault, however, no commissioner has had more work stoppages than Gary Bettman. Enough is enough. Settle this thing or just cancel the season.

• kitshky - Nov 26, 2012 at 4:03 PM

My issue with his record is a little more specific, it’s not just that he has more work stoppages than any other commissioner in any other sports … it’s that he’s 3 for 3. He’s never *not* had a work stoppage.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches