Nov 23, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Derick Brassard is off to Austria.
The Columbus Blue Jackets center has agreed to join Erste Bank Eishockey Liga club Red Bull Salzburg on a lockout deal, according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
Brassard, 25, will join a Salzburg organization that’s been quite aggressive in obtaining NHL-level talent.
Last week, Red Bull dipped into the lockout market again by inking Boston Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk.
The sixth overall pick at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Brassard should add some offensive firepower to the Salzburg lineup. He’s had two decent years, production wise — 47 points in 2010-11, 41 last year — and looked good down the stretch in 2011-12, scoring 21 points over his final 31 games.
“Red Bull has a reputation for training really hard, for having really tough practices,” Brassard told the Dispatch. “That’s good. I want to be ready. I want to be in really good shape. And as much as that, I want to keep playing. This is what I do for a living. I want to play.”
Brassard is the eighth Blue Jacket to find work during the lockout.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)