Nov 23, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Derick Brassard is off to Austria.
The Columbus Blue Jackets center has agreed to join Erste Bank Eishockey Liga club Red Bull Salzburg on a lockout deal, according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
Brassard, 25, will join a Salzburg organization that’s been quite aggressive in obtaining NHL-level talent.
Last week, Red Bull dipped into the lockout market again by inking Boston Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk.
The sixth overall pick at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Brassard should add some offensive firepower to the Salzburg lineup. He’s had two decent years, production wise — 47 points in 2010-11, 41 last year — and looked good down the stretch in 2011-12, scoring 21 points over his final 31 games.
“Red Bull has a reputation for training really hard, for having really tough practices,” Brassard told the Dispatch. “That’s good. I want to be ready. I want to be in really good shape. And as much as that, I want to keep playing. This is what I do for a living. I want to play.”
Brassard is the eighth Blue Jacket to find work during the lockout.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 13
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)