Nov 23, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Derick Brassard is off to Austria.
The Columbus Blue Jackets center has agreed to join Erste Bank Eishockey Liga club Red Bull Salzburg on a lockout deal, according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch.
Brassard, 25, will join a Salzburg organization that’s been quite aggressive in obtaining NHL-level talent.
Last week, Red Bull dipped into the lockout market again by inking Boston Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk.
The sixth overall pick at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft, Brassard should add some offensive firepower to the Salzburg lineup. He’s had two decent years, production wise — 47 points in 2010-11, 41 last year — and looked good down the stretch in 2011-12, scoring 21 points over his final 31 games.
“Red Bull has a reputation for training really hard, for having really tough practices,” Brassard told the Dispatch. “That’s good. I want to be ready. I want to be in really good shape. And as much as that, I want to keep playing. This is what I do for a living. I want to play.”
Brassard is the eighth Blue Jacket to find work during the lockout.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)