Nov 22, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
One of the hockey’s most popular players, both on and off the ice, is pondering retirement as the NHL lockout drags on.
Because at 42 years old, Anaheim’s Teemu Selanne has better things to do than practice and scrimmage.
“A lot of times when I drive to the rink here and I know there’s only four of five guys skating, I’m thinking, ‘Right now, I’d like to call and say I’m done,’” Selanne told the O.C. Register on Wednesday. “This is enough right now. I’m old enough to do something else and not play with the kids.
“Next time, I feel like I want to wait and see what happens. I have played so many games, so many years. This is not a big thing for me. If I have to retire like this, I’m still going to be a happy camper. But this is a sad way to go out, this way.”
Indeed, it would be sad. Not that he’d disappear forever. He’d still get to walk out on a red carpet some night and wave good-bye, and of course there will be his Hall of Fame induction ceremony in a few years.
But that’s not the same as, say, Wayne Gretzky’s last NHL game at Madison Square Garden.
The greats should go out on their own terms.
“The last lockout, there were 240 players who never played another shift in the NHL,” Selanne said. “Obviously if they’re going to (cancel) the whole season, there’s going to be a lot more players this time.
“Obviously I don’t know my situation but right now it’s very hard to even think about the year after this.”
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 35
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 40
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)