Nov 22, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
Tuukka Rask is on his way back to Beantown.
That’s the word out of the Czech Republic on Thursday as sources claim the Bruins netminder will leave Extraliga team HC Plzen after his next game and return to Boston.
Here’s more, from CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty:
The 25-year-old Finnish goalie has been dominant in the Czech League while putting up a 6-2 record along with a 1.86 goals against average and .936 save percentage while backstopping the first place team.
He had an early health scare when he felt a groin tweak in his first game in the Czech League, but has been 100 percent healthy and outstanding between the pipes since then.
According to Matias Strozyk of Elite Prospects, Rask will play his final game for Plzen tomorrow (Friday) and fly to Boston on Sunday “to wait for NHL to start.” Rask also hasn’t ruled out a return to the Extraliga, reports suggest.
As Haggerty alluded to, Rask has been dominant in the Extraliga thus far. He’s been largely credited for Plzen’s early-season dsuccess (they’re tops in the league) and here’s a noteworthy review of his play from Roman Jedlicka, an NHL play-by-play announcer for Czech TV’s NOVA Sport:
Tuukka Rask is the main – not only but main – reason why Pilsen is at 1st place in Czech league. He could put label CLOSED on his goal.
— Roman Jedlicka (@jedli) November 21, 2012
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)