Nov 22, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
That alone was a great service to the community, but when former New York firefighter Matt Long asked Richards if he’d help clean up Breezy Point community, Richards agreed and brought Gaborik and Eminger along with him, according to an ESPN report.
Richards had previously met Long at a Rangers’ team event and at the time had offered his services to Long if he wanted to partner up.
“There were no cameras, no one was watching. It was just Brad Richards, down there getting dirty, ankle-deep in water, pouring garbage out of 100-year-old houses,” Long said.
Long’s brother, Chris, was among those who needed his house gutted and torn down. Chris is also a big Rangers fan and cheered up when Richards came to help him out.
“It was the first time he smiled since it happened,” Long said of his brother.
Richards is known for his community work and with the lockout dragging on, he’s spent some of that extra free time helping others.
“We’re doing it because we can. We’re in a position to do it and it’s fun for us,” Richards said. “A lot of us don’t like talking about it. We want awareness for it because we want to get the numbers up, [but] guys do a lot of this stuff and it goes unnoticed.
“We just want to be part of the community. It’s a tough time for these guys.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)