Nov 22, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
That alone was a great service to the community, but when former New York firefighter Matt Long asked Richards if he’d help clean up Breezy Point community, Richards agreed and brought Gaborik and Eminger along with him, according to an ESPN report.
Richards had previously met Long at a Rangers’ team event and at the time had offered his services to Long if he wanted to partner up.
“There were no cameras, no one was watching. It was just Brad Richards, down there getting dirty, ankle-deep in water, pouring garbage out of 100-year-old houses,” Long said.
Long’s brother, Chris, was among those who needed his house gutted and torn down. Chris is also a big Rangers fan and cheered up when Richards came to help him out.
“It was the first time he smiled since it happened,” Long said of his brother.
Richards is known for his community work and with the lockout dragging on, he’s spent some of that extra free time helping others.
“We’re doing it because we can. We’re in a position to do it and it’s fun for us,” Richards said. “A lot of us don’t like talking about it. We want awareness for it because we want to get the numbers up, [but] guys do a lot of this stuff and it goes unnoticed.
“We just want to be part of the community. It’s a tough time for these guys.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)