Nov 22, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Things were crowded behind the Hersey Bears’ bench to start the AHL campaign — maybe a little too crowded — so moves have been made to free up some space.
On Wednesday, Washington GM George McPhee announced that Caps head coach Adam Oates and assistants Calle Johansson and Tim Hunter — who had been working with Hershey coaches Mark French and Troy Mann — were on their way back to the nation’s capital.
“The time is right for Adam and his coaching staff to return to Washington,” McPhee told the Caps’ website. “We feel like the coaching staff has developed some good chemistry. The goal all along was for our coaching staff to go to Hershey work closely with our prospects and implement our system.
“They spent ample time doing just that and we feel both organizations will benefit in the long run because of it.”
While it might’ve been a good learning experience for some, Hershey’s on-ice production suffered with so many cooks in the kitchen. The Bears are last in the AHL’s East Division with a 6-9-1 record — not great numbers from a team with Washington regulars Braden Holtby and Dmitry Orlov in the lineup alongside veteran AHLers in Garrett Stafford and Jeff Taffe.
Oates seemed to recognize it was a unique and potentially uncomfortable situation in Hershey, but appreciated what the Bears’ coaches allowed him and Johansson and Hunter to do during the lockout.
“With Frenchy and Troy, we all got to work together and talk hockey every day,” he explained. “We would see the same stuff and interpret it differently, and then come to a conclusion as to what it is. I think that was healthy for all of us, I really do. It’s healthy to talk hockey every day.
“They were gracious in the sense that it is their team and they allowed us to come down due to a unique situation and work together.”
Sep 30, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Rob Zepp was starting to look like a possibility to be the team’s backup.
Sep 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Zdeno Chara’s advancing age is one reason for Bruins fans to worry.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT
Devils coach Pete DeBoer says they’re still dating.
Sep 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Sep 29, 2014, 11:18 PM EDT
Cory Conacher is probably up next.
Sep 29, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
He’s running out of opportunities to get into an exhibition contest.
Sep 29, 2014, 9:35 PM EDT
The timing is interesting.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
This is a critical season for him.
Sep 29, 2014, 8:29 PM EDT
He won’t return to Monday’s game.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:54 PM EDT
This has been a rough preseason for Columbus.
Sep 29, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
Will he be able to build off of his 2013-14 campaign though?
Sep 29, 2014, 5:51 PM EDT
This is certainly the time to do that.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
Has two goals in the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
Next up: Brenden Dillon.
Sep 29, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
If you were a member of the Dallas Stars at the turn of the century, you could get a job next!
Sep 29, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Prospects Nic Kerdiles and Stefan Noesen headed to AHL Norfolk.
Sep 29, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Bo Horvat may have the inside track over Hunter Shinkaruk and Nicklas Jensen to make Vancouver’s opening-day roster.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:52 PM EDT
Veteran blueliner suffered a separated shoulder during the preseason.
Sep 29, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Leafs forward injured once again.
Sep 29, 2014, 12:47 PM EDT
Pair of once-touted prospects now up for grabs.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)