Nov 22, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Things were crowded behind the Hersey Bears’ bench to start the AHL campaign — maybe a little too crowded — so moves have been made to free up some space.
On Wednesday, Washington GM George McPhee announced that Caps head coach Adam Oates and assistants Calle Johansson and Tim Hunter — who had been working with Hershey coaches Mark French and Troy Mann — were on their way back to the nation’s capital.
“The time is right for Adam and his coaching staff to return to Washington,” McPhee told the Caps’ website. “We feel like the coaching staff has developed some good chemistry. The goal all along was for our coaching staff to go to Hershey work closely with our prospects and implement our system.
“They spent ample time doing just that and we feel both organizations will benefit in the long run because of it.”
While it might’ve been a good learning experience for some, Hershey’s on-ice production suffered with so many cooks in the kitchen. The Bears are last in the AHL’s East Division with a 6-9-1 record — not great numbers from a team with Washington regulars Braden Holtby and Dmitry Orlov in the lineup alongside veteran AHLers in Garrett Stafford and Jeff Taffe.
Oates seemed to recognize it was a unique and potentially uncomfortable situation in Hershey, but appreciated what the Bears’ coaches allowed him and Johansson and Hunter to do during the lockout.
“With Frenchy and Troy, we all got to work together and talk hockey every day,” he explained. “We would see the same stuff and interpret it differently, and then come to a conclusion as to what it is. I think that was healthy for all of us, I really do. It’s healthy to talk hockey every day.
“They were gracious in the sense that it is their team and they allowed us to come down due to a unique situation and work together.”
May 3, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
Yeah, it was quite a goal from No. 8.
May 2, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Didn’t waste time getting on the board in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
But it doesn’t sound like there will be a dramatic, sudden return.
May 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
“You only have one life, enjoy it.”
May 2, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Without a goal in this post-season.
May 2, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
Minnesota almost completed the comeback in Game 1.
May 2, 2015, 5:43 PM EDT
“Since the voting period began, we’ve received an astounding 20.4 million votes…”
May 2, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
The Caps were out-shot 15-4 and out-scored 2-0 in the opening 20.
May 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
Lundqvist made 30 saves as New York edged Washington 3-2 in Game 2.
May 2, 2015, 3:07 PM EDT
The highlight-reel goal pulls the Caps to within one.
May 2, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
He suffered a lower body injury on Friday.
May 2, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Paperwork filed for environmental study.
May 2, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
One of four first period saves made by the Rangers’ starter.
May 2, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
Opened the scoring 38 seconds in.
May 2, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Puck drop is at 12:30 p.m. ET on NBC.
May 2, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT
He made his NHL debut in April.
May 2, 2015, 10:35 AM EDT
He didn’t play a shift in the third period of Thursday’s loss.
May 2, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT
How a conversation in Vegas changed the forward’s game.
May 2, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Been through adversity before this season.
May 2, 2015, 12:28 AM EDT
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 1
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 100
- Howard won’t demand trade out of Detroit 19
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (101)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)