Nov 22, 2012, 3:57 PM EDT
Roman Hamrlik isn’t a young man anymore (for the NHL, not for the earth), so it’s little surprise the 38-year-old Capitals defenseman is desperate for the lockout to end. After all, no player wants to be forced into retirement by a work stoppage, especially a player without a Stanley Cup ring.
Michal Neuvirth, on the other hand, is only 24. The Capitals goalie has his entire career ahead of him. Theoretically, he should be willing to fight for the best possible CBA, since he’ll be the one living with it for years to come.
Thus, it’s interesting that Neuvirth today expressed support for Hamrlik, who recently voiced his displeasure with the time it’s taking NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr to broker a deal with the owners.
“I agree 100 percent with Hammer,” Neuvirth told TVA Nova Sport (Czech Republic), “This lockout is not about majority of players, I think. It is about several superstars with big contracts.”
Of course, one of the staunchest NHLPA supporters throughout the lockout has bene Washington captain Alex Ovechkin, who just so happens to be a superstar with a big contract.
And when you consider what happened in August when Neuvirth reportedly said (though later claimed he was misquoted) that Ovechkin “isn’t what he used to be,” well, feel free to speculate, because that’s what the rest of the hockey world will be doing.
Anyway, perhaps this is why the NHL only allows two guys to talk about the lockout. In labor negotiations, not everyone has the same agenda.
Jul 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Makes sense for a franchise that frequently favors puck possession.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 23
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 34
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)