Nov 22, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Montreal Canadiens forward Blake Geoffrion has released a statement in the wake of a depressed skull fracture suffered on Nov. 9 while playing for AHL Hamilton.
The fracture required immediate surgery and admittance into Montreal General Hospital’s ICU.
Here is Geoffrion’s statement, courtesy Canadiens.com:
I want to sincerely thank all fans, friends, family members and everyone from the hockey world for the incredible support I have received. I was cleared by the neurosurgeon and the Club’s medical staff to return home for a 3-week period of complete rest.
I am very happy to be home for Thanksgiving. I would like to thank Dr. Mulder and the Club’s medical staff, as well as the entire medical personnel at the Montreal General Hospital for their extraordinary care.
I am very grateful to Geoff Molson and Marc Bergevin for the unrelenting support they have shown myself and the members of my family.
I also wish to thank all members of the media for respecting this healing period.
The Canadiens announced that Geoffrion would be out of action indefinitely, and that doctors are confident he’ll make a full recovery.
Geoffrion, 24, was Nashville’s second round pick at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft and acquired by Montreal in February’s Hal Gill trade. He appeared in 13 games for the Habs last year, scoring twice, and had posted 2G-4A-6PTS in 10 games with Hamilton before the injury.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)