Nov 22, 2012, 3:00 PM EST
Montreal Canadiens forward Blake Geoffrion has released a statement in the wake of a depressed skull fracture suffered on Nov. 9 while playing for AHL Hamilton.
The fracture required immediate surgery and admittance into Montreal General Hospital’s ICU.
Here is Geoffrion’s statement, courtesy Canadiens.com:
I want to sincerely thank all fans, friends, family members and everyone from the hockey world for the incredible support I have received. I was cleared by the neurosurgeon and the Club’s medical staff to return home for a 3-week period of complete rest.
I am very happy to be home for Thanksgiving. I would like to thank Dr. Mulder and the Club’s medical staff, as well as the entire medical personnel at the Montreal General Hospital for their extraordinary care.
I am very grateful to Geoff Molson and Marc Bergevin for the unrelenting support they have shown myself and the members of my family.
I also wish to thank all members of the media for respecting this healing period.
The Canadiens announced that Geoffrion would be out of action indefinitely, and that doctors are confident he’ll make a full recovery.
Geoffrion, 24, was Nashville’s second round pick at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft and acquired by Montreal in February’s Hal Gill trade. He appeared in 13 games for the Habs last year, scoring twice, and had posted 2G-4A-6PTS in 10 games with Hamilton before the injury.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2