Nov 22, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
Montreal Canadiens forward Blake Geoffrion has released a statement in the wake of a depressed skull fracture suffered on Nov. 9 while playing for AHL Hamilton.
The fracture required immediate surgery and admittance into Montreal General Hospital’s ICU.
Here is Geoffrion’s statement, courtesy Canadiens.com:
I want to sincerely thank all fans, friends, family members and everyone from the hockey world for the incredible support I have received. I was cleared by the neurosurgeon and the Club’s medical staff to return home for a 3-week period of complete rest.
I am very happy to be home for Thanksgiving. I would like to thank Dr. Mulder and the Club’s medical staff, as well as the entire medical personnel at the Montreal General Hospital for their extraordinary care.
I am very grateful to Geoff Molson and Marc Bergevin for the unrelenting support they have shown myself and the members of my family.
I also wish to thank all members of the media for respecting this healing period.
The Canadiens announced that Geoffrion would be out of action indefinitely, and that doctors are confident he’ll make a full recovery.
Geoffrion, 24, was Nashville’s second round pick at the 2006 NHL Entry Draft and acquired by Montreal in February’s Hal Gill trade. He appeared in 13 games for the Habs last year, scoring twice, and had posted 2G-4A-6PTS in 10 games with Hamilton before the injury.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 62
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)