Nov 22, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While NHL players continue to bolt for overseas gigs, some aren’t having the greatest time studying hockey abroad. Colorado Avalanche forward Matt Duchene might rank as one of those players.
Duchene already blasted officiating in the Swedish Elite League, and now he’s critiquing the work of his foster team Frolunda after a 2-0 loss on Tuesday, according to an Aftonbladet article (translated by the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater).
“If this was in the NHL, five players would be sent down to the minors after a game like this. But here, players are too comfortable,” Duchene said. “There are 33 million Canadians that would sacrifice an arm to play hockey at this level.”
The interview caused a stir already, although Duchene claims that those comments were “blown out of proportion.”
Specifically, Duchene told Dater that he did have some good things to say about the team and also held himself accountable by saying he “let his teammates down” in that defeat.
Ultimately, Dater has an interesting take on Duchene’s comments (and perhaps, passion).
I’ve been around Duchene long enough to know he just wants to win, period. I think this actually shows well on his character, that he cares as much about winning in Sweden as he does here. Most guys just go over there to make some money and stay busy and don’t really give a hoot about how the team does. Dutchy isn’t like that.
It might not make him a popular teammate, though.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)