Nov 22, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While NHL players continue to bolt for overseas gigs, some aren’t having the greatest time studying hockey abroad. Colorado Avalanche forward Matt Duchene might rank as one of those players.
Duchene already blasted officiating in the Swedish Elite League, and now he’s critiquing the work of his foster team Frolunda after a 2-0 loss on Tuesday, according to an Aftonbladet article (translated by the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater).
“If this was in the NHL, five players would be sent down to the minors after a game like this. But here, players are too comfortable,” Duchene said. “There are 33 million Canadians that would sacrifice an arm to play hockey at this level.”
The interview caused a stir already, although Duchene claims that those comments were “blown out of proportion.”
Specifically, Duchene told Dater that he did have some good things to say about the team and also held himself accountable by saying he “let his teammates down” in that defeat.
Ultimately, Dater has an interesting take on Duchene’s comments (and perhaps, passion).
I’ve been around Duchene long enough to know he just wants to win, period. I think this actually shows well on his character, that he cares as much about winning in Sweden as he does here. Most guys just go over there to make some money and stay busy and don’t really give a hoot about how the team does. Dutchy isn’t like that.
It might not make him a popular teammate, though.
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 20
- Everything happens: Ovechkin nails Tavares, Isles score 17
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 9
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 17
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 57
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 106
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (106)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (91)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)