Nov 22, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While NHL players continue to bolt for overseas gigs, some aren’t having the greatest time studying hockey abroad. Colorado Avalanche forward Matt Duchene might rank as one of those players.
Duchene already blasted officiating in the Swedish Elite League, and now he’s critiquing the work of his foster team Frolunda after a 2-0 loss on Tuesday, according to an Aftonbladet article (translated by the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater).
“If this was in the NHL, five players would be sent down to the minors after a game like this. But here, players are too comfortable,” Duchene said. “There are 33 million Canadians that would sacrifice an arm to play hockey at this level.”
The interview caused a stir already, although Duchene claims that those comments were “blown out of proportion.”
Specifically, Duchene told Dater that he did have some good things to say about the team and also held himself accountable by saying he “let his teammates down” in that defeat.
Ultimately, Dater has an interesting take on Duchene’s comments (and perhaps, passion).
I’ve been around Duchene long enough to know he just wants to win, period. I think this actually shows well on his character, that he cares as much about winning in Sweden as he does here. Most guys just go over there to make some money and stay busy and don’t really give a hoot about how the team does. Dutchy isn’t like that.
It might not make him a popular teammate, though.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)