Nov 22, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
While NHL players continue to bolt for overseas gigs, some aren’t having the greatest time studying hockey abroad. Colorado Avalanche forward Matt Duchene might rank as one of those players.
Duchene already blasted officiating in the Swedish Elite League, and now he’s critiquing the work of his foster team Frolunda after a 2-0 loss on Tuesday, according to an Aftonbladet article (translated by the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater).
“If this was in the NHL, five players would be sent down to the minors after a game like this. But here, players are too comfortable,” Duchene said. “There are 33 million Canadians that would sacrifice an arm to play hockey at this level.”
The interview caused a stir already, although Duchene claims that those comments were “blown out of proportion.”
Specifically, Duchene told Dater that he did have some good things to say about the team and also held himself accountable by saying he “let his teammates down” in that defeat.
Ultimately, Dater has an interesting take on Duchene’s comments (and perhaps, passion).
I’ve been around Duchene long enough to know he just wants to win, period. I think this actually shows well on his character, that he cares as much about winning in Sweden as he does here. Most guys just go over there to make some money and stay busy and don’t really give a hoot about how the team does. Dutchy isn’t like that.
It might not make him a popular teammate, though.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)