Nov 22, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT
While many locked-out NHLers have flocked for top-flight leagues in Sweden, Russia and Switzerland, Washington forward Wojtek Wolski took a different approach — he signed with KH Sanok of the Polish Ice Hockey League.
Wolski was born in Poland and felt this might be his only chance to play in his native country. As such, he joined one of the lower rungs on the global hockey ladder.
Poland is ranked No. 22 in the IIHF Rankings, between Japan and Holland; the Polska Liga Hokejowa is an eight-team circuit that bears a lot of similarities to Canadian junior hockey, right down to the lengthy bus rides.
Here’s more, from IIHF.com:
In some ways it’s been a step back in time for Wolski, whose team transport doesn’t include private jets or five-star accommodations. A former member of the Ontario Hockey League’s Brampton Battalion, his current team has more in common with them than with an NHL squad.
“Yes it’s very much similar to OHL when it comes to travel and dressing rooms. We bus 5-6 hours to games and play that night. Not the easiest way to prepare for a game but it has been fine,” he said.
While it might sound tough, playing in the Polish league does have its perks.
“The last game we were in Hungary and I scored in a shootout to win it,” Wolski explained. “The fans got pretty excited and started throwing me chocolate bars.”
(Image courtesy IIHF.com)
Mar 11, 2014, 2:26 AM EDT
It was mostly a night of disappointments
Mar 11, 2014, 1:15 AM EDT
“We need to be men.”
Mar 11, 2014, 12:39 AM EDT
It just keeps getting worse.
Mar 11, 2014, 12:29 AM EDT
It’s an MCL injury, according to Patrick Roy.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
It’s also his first point since Jan. 10.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:14 PM EDT
At least they have Ales Hemsky.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:57 PM EDT
The Stars say he’ll undergo extensive testing.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:44 PM EDT
Washington carried much of the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:29 PM EDT
Both teams have games on Tuesday.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:08 PM EDT
Lindy Ruff says he’s OK.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Mar 10, 2014, 7:55 PM EDT
He was last seen at practice in Saginaw, Mich.
Mar 10, 2014, 6:38 PM EDT
Nathan MacKinnon slides into his center spot vs. Winnipeg.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Canucks GM pens letter to ticket holders.
Mar 10, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT
Click for a video explanation.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)