Nov 21, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
After multiple reports on Tuesday linked Jaroslav Halak to KHL club Spartak Moscow, the Blues goalie has decided to go another route.
Halak will join German second division team Lausitzer and will reportedly make his first start as early as Friday, according to player agent Allan Walsh.
With the move, Halak becomes the latest locked-out NHLer to try his hand in the Bundesliga. Other recent signess include Flyers defenseman Bruno Gervais, Blues forward Chris Stewart, Islanders forward Josh Bailey, Maple Leafs forward Clarke MacArthur and Kings goalie Jonathan Bernier.
Last year, Halak teamed with Brian Elliott to give St. Louis the best goaltending tandem in hockey. The pair combined to win the William Jennings Trophy (fewest goals allowed) while Halak finished sixth in save percentage (.924), fourth in goals against (1.97) and fifth in shutouts (six).
Halak got the call to start for St. Louis in its opening-round playoff series against San Jose, but only lasted two games before suffering an ankle injury that ended his postseason.
The injury was significant enough that its effects lingered until mid-July, possibly why the 27-year-old waited so long before signing with a European club.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)