Nov 21, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Jason Spezza‘s future is up in the air.
That’s what the Ottawa Senators forward told a Swiss newspaper this week when asked what his plans are for the remainder of this season.
Spezza has been with Rapperswil-Jona of the National League A since mid-September and has fared well, scoring 17 points in 17 games — but was hesitant to commit to anything long-term.
“I have already informed the leaders of Hockey Canada that I was willing to participate in the Spengler Cup during the holiday season,” Spezza told Le Droit hockey writer Sylvain St-Laurent. “After that, we’ll see.”
The Spengler Cup runs from Dec. 26-31 in the Swiss city of Davos.
According to Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun, Spezza is prepared to stay in Switzerland until Christmas but is also contemplating a return home whether the NHL lockout ends or not.
Spezza is not the only locked-out NHLer Rapperswil needs to worry about.
New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto is also in the fold (and, for what it’s worth, so too are ex-NHLers David Aebischer, Derrick Walser, Robbie Earl, Peter Sejna and Juraj Kolnik.)
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights