Nov 21, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Jason Spezza‘s future is up in the air.
That’s what the Ottawa Senators forward told a Swiss newspaper this week when asked what his plans are for the remainder of this season.
Spezza has been with Rapperswil-Jona of the National League A since mid-September and has fared well, scoring 17 points in 17 games — but was hesitant to commit to anything long-term.
“I have already informed the leaders of Hockey Canada that I was willing to participate in the Spengler Cup during the holiday season,” Spezza told Le Droit hockey writer Sylvain St-Laurent. “After that, we’ll see.”
The Spengler Cup runs from Dec. 26-31 in the Swiss city of Davos.
According to Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun, Spezza is prepared to stay in Switzerland until Christmas but is also contemplating a return home whether the NHL lockout ends or not.
Spezza is not the only locked-out NHLer Rapperswil needs to worry about.
New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto is also in the fold (and, for what it’s worth, so too are ex-NHLers David Aebischer, Derrick Walser, Robbie Earl, Peter Sejna and Juraj Kolnik.)
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)