Nov 21, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Jason Spezza‘s future is up in the air.
That’s what the Ottawa Senators forward told a Swiss newspaper this week when asked what his plans are for the remainder of this season.
Spezza has been with Rapperswil-Jona of the National League A since mid-September and has fared well, scoring 17 points in 17 games — but was hesitant to commit to anything long-term.
“I have already informed the leaders of Hockey Canada that I was willing to participate in the Spengler Cup during the holiday season,” Spezza told Le Droit hockey writer Sylvain St-Laurent. “After that, we’ll see.”
The Spengler Cup runs from Dec. 26-31 in the Swiss city of Davos.
According to Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun, Spezza is prepared to stay in Switzerland until Christmas but is also contemplating a return home whether the NHL lockout ends or not.
Spezza is not the only locked-out NHLer Rapperswil needs to worry about.
New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto is also in the fold (and, for what it’s worth, so too are ex-NHLers David Aebischer, Derrick Walser, Robbie Earl, Peter Sejna and Juraj Kolnik.)
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)