Nov 21, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Jason Spezza‘s future is up in the air.
That’s what the Ottawa Senators forward told a Swiss newspaper this week when asked what his plans are for the remainder of this season.
Spezza has been with Rapperswil-Jona of the National League A since mid-September and has fared well, scoring 17 points in 17 games — but was hesitant to commit to anything long-term.
“I have already informed the leaders of Hockey Canada that I was willing to participate in the Spengler Cup during the holiday season,” Spezza told Le Droit hockey writer Sylvain St-Laurent. “After that, we’ll see.”
The Spengler Cup runs from Dec. 26-31 in the Swiss city of Davos.
According to Don Brennan of the Ottawa Sun, Spezza is prepared to stay in Switzerland until Christmas but is also contemplating a return home whether the NHL lockout ends or not.
Spezza is not the only locked-out NHLer Rapperswil needs to worry about.
New York Rangers defenseman Michael Del Zotto is also in the fold (and, for what it’s worth, so too are ex-NHLers David Aebischer, Derrick Walser, Robbie Earl, Peter Sejna and Juraj Kolnik.)
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)