Oilers’ Sutton contemplates retirement: “I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body”

Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT

Comments Off
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

With nearly 700 games played and 11 surgeries in the books, Andy Sutton doesn’t know how much more he has left in the tank.

Actually, he’s not sure there’s anything left at all.

That’s what Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday in advance of surgery No. 12 — another knee procedure set to occur in a few weeks.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton explained. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

Edmonton also retained Sutton to be a veteran presence on a young team.

Everybody knows about the kids up front, but the Oilers are relatively inexperienced on defense as well — Sutton and Nick Schultz are the only blueliners over the age of 30, and big things are expected of Justin Schultz (22) and Jeff Petry (24) this year.

Sutton would be a solid mentor for the group, but isn’t sure he’ll adequately recover from this latest procedure.

“I guess the road to recovery from that is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: McKenzie, Milbury on Fleury’s future in Pittsburgh

Oct 22, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT

Marc Andre Fleury AP

Milbury doesn’t understand why the Pens would extend him.

2. Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition

Oct 22, 2014, 8:32 PM EDT

PittAnthem

Tremendous gesture from the Penguins organization.

3. WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night

Oct 22, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT

Crosby and Giroux Getty Images

Two teams that, how should we say, care not for one another.

4. Caps put Erskine (neck surgery) on IR

Oct 22, 2014, 6:21 PM EDT

Washington Capitals v New York Rangers - Game Three Getty Images

He won’t travel with the club for its upcoming three-game road swing through Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver.

5. The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’

Oct 22, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

Just gotta work on the stuff in front of him now.

6. After six-game absence, Muzzin to make season debut

Oct 22, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT

Jake Muzzin #6 of the Los Angeles Kings skates against the Anaheim Ducks at Honda Center on September 17, 2013 in Anaheim, California.
(September 16, 2013 - Source: Jeff Gross/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

He’ll be in for the Kings when they host Buffalo tomorrow.

7. ‘Hawk down: Crawford (upper body) to miss next two games

Oct 22, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v Chicago Blackhawks - Game Five Getty Images

Having already sat out last night’s win over Philly.

Flyers have many concerns