Oilers’ Sutton contemplates retirement: “I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body”

Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT

Comments Off
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

With nearly 700 games played and 11 surgeries in the books, Andy Sutton doesn’t know how much more he has left in the tank.

Actually, he’s not sure there’s anything left at all.

That’s what Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday in advance of surgery No. 12 — another knee procedure set to occur in a few weeks.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton explained. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

Edmonton also retained Sutton to be a veteran presence on a young team.

Everybody knows about the kids up front, but the Oilers are relatively inexperienced on defense as well — Sutton and Nick Schultz are the only blueliners over the age of 30, and big things are expected of Justin Schultz (22) and Jeff Petry (24) this year.

Sutton would be a solid mentor for the group, but isn’t sure he’ll adequately recover from this latest procedure.

“I guess the road to recovery from that is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Kings’ Richards spears Sharks’ Couture

Apr 21, 2014, 2:19 AM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-04-20 at 11.06.58 PM

This has happened a few times in these playoffs.

2. Video: Bad blood continues to brew between Sharks and Kings

Apr 21, 2014, 1:28 AM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game Two Getty Images

This one could’ve gotten uglier than it did.

3. Avalanche’s Duchene (knee) expected to skate Monday

Apr 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT

Matt Duchene Getty Images

Patrick Roy: “We’re going to be very smart about when he’s going to come back.”

4. Video: Mike Brown hit sends Kings’ Toffoli into Quick

Apr 20, 2014, 10:52 PM EDT

Jonathan Quick AP

Just another game between these two California rivals.

5. Shocking: Lightning coach isn’t happy about disallowed goal

Apr 20, 2014, 10:34 PM EDT

Jon Cooper, Tyler Johnson, Ryan Malone AP

Jon Cooper straddles the line between snarky and careful.

6. WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2)

Apr 20, 2014, 9:05 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v San Jose Sharks - Game One Getty Images

Kings hope to avoid two straight years of 0-2 first-round deficits.

7. Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head

Apr 20, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Tampa Bay’s captain managed to return later in the game.

8. Trotz says goodbye to Nashville with full-page ad in newspaper

Apr 20, 2014, 8:27 PM EDT

Barry Trotz Getty Images

Classy gesture after 16 seasons with the Predators.

9. Video: Habs take 1-0 lead in just 11 seconds

Apr 20, 2014, 7:32 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Not exactly an ideal start for Anders Lindback.

10. Emery states case to remain in Flyers’ net (if Mason can play in Game 3)

Apr 20, 2014, 7:15 PM EDT

Philadelphia Flyers v New York Rangers - Game Two Getty Images

He stopped 31 out of 33 in Sunday’s win vs. the Rangers.

11. Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1

Apr 20, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT

Justin Florek, Tomas Tatar AP

Milan Lucic scored a goal a game after that spearing incident.

12. Sibling rivalry: Reilly Smith scores, Brendan challenges Chara

Apr 20, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT

Smith Chara

They are playing on opposite sides in the Detroit-Boston series.

13. Lightning coach: Everyone’s written us off, so we have nothing to lose

Apr 20, 2014, 4:03 PM EDT

Jon Cooper AP

They’re down 2-0 to Montreal going into Game 3 tonight.

Detroit must exploit Boston's young D