Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT

Comments Off on Oilers’ Sutton contemplates retirement: “I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body”
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

With nearly 700 games played and 11 surgeries in the books, Andy Sutton doesn’t know how much more he has left in the tank.

Actually, he’s not sure there’s anything left at all.

That’s what Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday in advance of surgery No. 12 — another knee procedure set to occur in a few weeks.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton explained. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

Edmonton also retained Sutton to be a veteran presence on a young team.

Everybody knows about the kids up front, but the Oilers are relatively inexperienced on defense as well — Sutton and Nick Schultz are the only blueliners over the age of 30, and big things are expected of Justin Schultz (22) and Jeff Petry (24) this year.

Sutton would be a solid mentor for the group, but isn’t sure he’ll adequately recover from this latest procedure.

“I guess the road to recovery from that is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Kings bringing veteran goalie Budaj to camp on PTO

Aug 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Peter Budaj Peter Budaj

Former Avs and Habs goalie spent all of last year in the AHL.

2. Detroit adds analytics specialist to front office

Aug 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Detroit Red Wings Getty Images

Yet another NHL club hiring a fancy stats guy.

3. Stars re-sign Eakin: four years, $15.4 million

Aug 28, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v Dallas Stars Columbus Blue Jackets v Dallas Stars

Scored a career-high 19 goals and 40 points last year.

4. Sharks’ biggest question: Does DeBoer make a difference?

Aug 28, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT

San Jose Sharks Name Peter Deboer Head Coach Getty Images

Former Panthers, Devils head coach takes over a team that “hit a little bit of a rut.”

5. Looking to make the leap: Mirco Mueller

Aug 28, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT

Vancouver Canucks v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

After an up-and-down rookie year, he’s looking to solidify his spot.

6. Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away

Aug 28, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Penguins v New York Islanders Getty Images

Legendary Isles coach had been battling Parkinson’s and dementia.

7. Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain?

Aug 28, 2015, 12:00 PM EDT

Joe Thornton Getty Images

Bit of an issue last season, if you’ll recall.

8. Under Pressure: Martin Jones

Aug 28, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Canada v Germany - 2015 IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship Getty Images

From little-used backup to clear-cut No. 1.

9. San Jose Sharks ’15-16 Outlook

Aug 28, 2015, 10:03 AM EDT

Alex Stalock Getty Images

It all comes down to goaltending.

10. It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT

Aug 28, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Patrick Marleau Getty Images

Their playoff streak ended after 10 straight appearances.

11. Kings ink prospect Sharipzyanov to entry-level contract

Aug 27, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Damir Sharipzyanov Getty Images

The defenseman had 34 points in 66 OHL games last season.

12. Sabres interested in luring Franson

Aug 27, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT

Cody Franson Getty Images

He might end up with a two-year deal.

13. Ladd wants to re-sign before season starts

Aug 27, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT

Andrew Ladd Getty Images

He’s entering the final season of his five-year, $22 million deal.

14. AHL unveils schedule with California teams playing fewer games

Aug 27, 2015, 6:48 PM EDT

061315 comets mdd AP

Playoff seeding will be determined by points percentage.

15. Under pressure: Mike Johnston

Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

Mike Johnston Getty Images

The Penguins are a win now team coming off of a quick first round exit.

16. Pittsburgh’s biggest question: Is the defense good enough?

Aug 27, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

St. Louis Blues v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

“I’m fully aware that at some point in time we may have to address that position.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches