Oilers’ Sutton contemplates retirement: “I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body”

Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT

Comments Off
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

With nearly 700 games played and 11 surgeries in the books, Andy Sutton doesn’t know how much more he has left in the tank.

Actually, he’s not sure there’s anything left at all.

That’s what Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday in advance of surgery No. 12 — another knee procedure set to occur in a few weeks.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton explained. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

Edmonton also retained Sutton to be a veteran presence on a young team.

Everybody knows about the kids up front, but the Oilers are relatively inexperienced on defense as well — Sutton and Nick Schultz are the only blueliners over the age of 30, and big things are expected of Justin Schultz (22) and Jeff Petry (24) this year.

Sutton would be a solid mentor for the group, but isn’t sure he’ll adequately recover from this latest procedure.

“I guess the road to recovery from that is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Stars consider Roussel a ‘big part’ of their team

Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Jaden Schwartz, Antoine Roussel AP

They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.

2. Report: NHL return possible for Peter Mueller

Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT

Peter Mueller AP

He spent last season playing in Switzerland.

3. Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal

Jul 22, 2014, 6:13 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Five Getty Images

That’s $1 million less than his reported asking price.

4. Flames avoid arbitration with Colborne, ink two-year deal

Jul 22, 2014, 5:15 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

It’s believed to be worth $2.55 million overall.

5. Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M

Jul 22, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT

David Booth Getty Images

Another buy-low bargain like Mason Raymond?

6. Ducks sign d-man Vatanen to two-year deal

Jul 22, 2014, 12:27 PM EDT

Sami Vatanen Getty Images

Coming off an impressive rookie season.

7. Penguins prospect Pouliot sees opportunity in Pittsburgh

Jul 22, 2014, 12:15 PM EDT

Portland Winterhawks v Kelowna Rockets Getty Images

How ’bout that headline for some alliteration.

8. NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15

Jul 22, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT

nbcsports11

Click for the full schedule of games on NBC and NBCSN.

9. Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal

Jul 22, 2014, 10:19 AM EDT

Antoine Roussel AP

Had 14 goals and 15 assists, with 209 PIM, in 2013-14.

10. Gunnarsson ‘on schedule’ after hip surgery

Jul 22, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT

Carl Gunnarsson Getty Images

Excited to join “the toughest team” the Leafs played last season,

11. PHT Morning Skate: Tallon loves Ekblad’s hands

Jul 22, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Dale Tallon Getty Images

That and all the links to start your day.

12. Capuano cautious about reuniting Kulemin/Grabovski

Jul 21, 2014, 10:45 PM EDT

Jack Capuano Getty Images

He does know what the advanced stats say though.

13. Blues sign Welsh, Prosser to one-year deals

Jul 21, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Nate Prosser Getty Images

More depth for a Stanley Cup hopeful.

14. Columnist: Character issues make Jets’ Kane a bad fit for Predators

Jul 21, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT

Evander Kane Getty Images

Trade rumors around the Jets star never stop swirling.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches