Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT

Comments Off on Oilers’ Sutton contemplates retirement: “I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body”
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

With nearly 700 games played and 11 surgeries in the books, Andy Sutton doesn’t know how much more he has left in the tank.

Actually, he’s not sure there’s anything left at all.

That’s what Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday in advance of surgery No. 12 — another knee procedure set to occur in a few weeks.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton explained. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

Edmonton also retained Sutton to be a veteran presence on a young team.

Everybody knows about the kids up front, but the Oilers are relatively inexperienced on defense as well — Sutton and Nick Schultz are the only blueliners over the age of 30, and big things are expected of Justin Schultz (22) and Jeff Petry (24) this year.

Sutton would be a solid mentor for the group, but isn’t sure he’ll adequately recover from this latest procedure.

“I guess the road to recovery from that is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas

Jun 30, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Las Vegas Arena Construction Site Tour Getty Images

But this isn’t the first time such a scenario has been reported.

2. Sharks sign Jones to a three-year, $9 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 9:33 PM EDT

martinjonesap AP

San Jose acquired him from Boston earlier in the day.

3. Islanders ink Anders Lee to a four-year, $15 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

EDMONTON, AB - MARCH 06: Anders Lee #27 of the New York Islanders celebrates a goal against the Edmonton Oilers during an NHL game at Rexall Place on March 06, 2014 in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Getty Images

He was set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

4. Wings buy out Weiss after two rocky seasons

Jun 30, 2015, 8:27 PM EDT

Stephen Weiss Getty Images

Detroit’s creating an opportunity for one of its young forwards.

5. Trade: Oilers get Korpikoski from Coyotes for Gordon

Jun 30, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT

Lauri Korpikoski Getty Images

Arizona is getting back its former center.

6. Saad, Jackets working on an extension ‘as we speak’

Jun 30, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT

Brandon Saad Brandon Saad

He’s set to become a restricted free agent on Wednesday.

7. Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone

Jun 30, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

He hasn’t been charged with a crime, but is reportedly being investigated.

8. Ducks stay busy, name former Adams winner MacLean assistant coach

Jun 30, 2015, 6:37 PM EDT

Paul MacLean AP

Won NHL’s coach of the year in 2013 with Ottawa.

9. Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose

Jun 30, 2015, 6:07 PM EDT

Kevin Bieksa Getty Images

Where he’ll be reunited with former teammate Ryan Kesler.

10. Treliving, Flames not concerned about ‘noise’ coming out of Boston

Jun 30, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT

Brad Treliving Brad Treliving

Calgary’s GM responded to comments in a Boston Herald story regarding defenseman Dougie Hamilton.

11. Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago

Jun 30, 2015, 5:25 PM EDT

2015 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Six Getty Images

A total of seven players involved in Tuesday’s trade.

12. Detroit signs Smith to two-year, $5.5 million extension

Jun 30, 2015, 3:54 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

RFA defenseman appeared in a career-high 76 games last year.

13. Defensemen Hunwick, Bartkowski to become UFAs

Jun 30, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v New York Rangers - Game Seven Getty Images

Rangers and Bruins let their respective rearguards walk, thereby deepening the free agent pool.

14. Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames

Jun 30, 2015, 2:04 PM EDT

Dougie Hamilton AP

Cap hit around $5.75 million.

15. No buyout: Flyers will keep Gagner

Jun 30, 2015, 1:31 PM EDT

Arizona Coyotes v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Former first-round pick is relieved after a “stressful” last few days.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches