Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT

Comments Off on Oilers’ Sutton contemplates retirement: “I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body”
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

With nearly 700 games played and 11 surgeries in the books, Andy Sutton doesn’t know how much more he has left in the tank.

Actually, he’s not sure there’s anything left at all.

That’s what Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday in advance of surgery No. 12 — another knee procedure set to occur in a few weeks.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton explained. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

Edmonton also retained Sutton to be a veteran presence on a young team.

Everybody knows about the kids up front, but the Oilers are relatively inexperienced on defense as well — Sutton and Nick Schultz are the only blueliners over the age of 30, and big things are expected of Justin Schultz (22) and Jeff Petry (24) this year.

Sutton would be a solid mentor for the group, but isn’t sure he’ll adequately recover from this latest procedure.

“I guess the road to recovery from that is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Getzlaf: ‘I was terrible’ in Game 6

May 27, 2015, 11:47 PM EDT

Frederik Andersen, Jonathan Toews, Ryan Getzlaf AP

He wasn’t the only Anaheim player that deserved to be blamed tonight.

2. Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7

May 27, 2015, 11:01 PM EDT

Getty Images Getty Images

Chicago endured Anaheim’s comeback attempt to win this one.

3. Video: Goalie interference? Silfverberg bumps Crawford on Stoner goal

May 27, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT

Stoner goal

The Ducks might have caught a break there.

4. Video: Maroon stays hot in playoffs, gives Ducks hope

May 27, 2015, 10:08 PM EDT

Maroon goal

He has seven goals in 15 playoff games.

5. Video: Saad comes up short in first frame, opens floodgates in second

May 27, 2015, 9:46 PM EDT

Saad goal

Chicago scored three goals within four minutes.

6. Kings’ AHL team advances to Calder Cup Final

May 27, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

Jordan Weal Getty Images

Jordan Weal has been a big part of Manchester’s success.

7. Voynov’s wife in counseling, still doesn’t want to testify

May 27, 2015, 7:04 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptzhzjmymgu1y2i3mgyxogjlmddmmte0zdlimze1mwjm AP

She’s previously been warned that this course could lead to her being found in contempt.

8. WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6

May 27, 2015, 6:06 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptzinjawowi5ytdjzgvlogu3zwq0ndm4ywmxndq3zmu2 AP

Anaheim has a chance to advance to the Stanley Cup Final tonight.

9. Ehrhoff likely headed to free agency

May 27, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT

Christian Ehrhoff Getty Images

After just one year in Pittsburgh.

10. McQuaid camp ‘holding out hope’ to re-sign with Bruins

May 27, 2015, 4:16 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

One of the many decisions facing new GM Don Sweeney.

11. As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial

May 27, 2015, 3:49 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning - Game Three Getty Images

Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final goes Friday at MSG.

12. Robinson calls DeBoer ‘a good choice’ for Sharks

May 27, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v Philadelphia Flyers - Game One Getty Images

The two men worked together for a season in New Jersey.

13. Etem likely to draw back in tonight versus Chicago

May 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT

Anaheim Ducks v Chicago Blackhawks Getty Images

Tomas Fleischmann likely on his way out.

14. Foley moves company to Vegas, hopes NHL sees him as ‘local owner’

May 27, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT

Hockey Vision Las Vegas News Conference To Announce NHL Season Ticket Drive Getty Images

“We’re going to be embedded in this community.”

15. Hitch thinks ‘goaltending is the least of our problems’

May 27, 2015, 1:46 PM EDT

Jake Allen AP

“I get the fact there were three goals that went in that were ugly. That’s the growth of a young player.”

End of an era coming for Blackhawks?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches