Oilers’ Sutton contemplates retirement: “I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body”

Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EST

Comments Off
Pittsburgh Penguins v Edmonton Oilers Getty Images

With nearly 700 games played and 11 surgeries in the books, Andy Sutton doesn’t know how much more he has left in the tank.

Actually, he’s not sure there’s anything left at all.

That’s what Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday in advance of surgery No. 12 — another knee procedure set to occur in a few weeks.

“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton explained. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.

“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”

Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)

Edmonton also retained Sutton to be a veteran presence on a young team.

Everybody knows about the kids up front, but the Oilers are relatively inexperienced on defense as well — Sutton and Nick Schultz are the only blueliners over the age of 30, and big things are expected of Justin Schultz (22) and Jeff Petry (24) this year.

Sutton would be a solid mentor for the group, but isn’t sure he’ll adequately recover from this latest procedure.

“I guess the road to recovery from that is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.

“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Oilers awarded a penalty shot in overtime

Nov 27, 2014, 10:50 PM EST

Jordan Eberle Getty Images

Shea Weber covered the puck in the crease.

2. Hextall: ‘My biggest concern is consistency’

Nov 27, 2014, 10:35 PM EST

2013 NHL Draft Getty Images

Flyers play host to the Rangers Friday afternoon.

3. Report: Kontiola joins KHL club Lokomotiv

Nov 27, 2014, 7:30 PM EST

Petri Kontiola Getty Images

Struggled in the American Hockey League this season.

4. Sens confirm Alfredsson to be honored Dec. 4

Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST

Daniel Alfredsson AP

Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.

5. Coyotes ‘hope we can make a deal’ with trade target Vermette

Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST

Antoine Vermette

Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.

6. Remparts sold to Quebecor, will move to new Quebec City arena

Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST

Quebec Remparts v Drummondville Voltigeurs Getty Images

Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.

7. Lowry suspended one game for boarding Kaleta

Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST

Lowry-Kaleta

Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.

8. Canucks’ Kassian out a ‘few weeks’ with finger injury

Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST

zackkassiangetty Getty Images

Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.

9. Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit

Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST

GarbuttHallKnee

Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.

10. Not so big and bad anymore, the Bruins would like to add some ‘heaviness’

Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST

Toronto Maple Leafs v Boston Bruins - Game Two Getty Images

That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.

11. After ‘disappointing’ road trip, is DeBoer on the hot seat?

Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST

Peter DeBoer AP

Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.

12. Flyers waive Akeson

Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST

Columbus Blue Jackets v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.

13. Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds

Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST

Justin Schultz AP

Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.

14. After 21-game absence, Fisher (ruptured Achilles) back for Preds

Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST

Mike Fisher Getty Images

Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.

15. With Luongo hurt, Panthers recall Ellis

Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST

Roberto Luongo Roberto Luongo

Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches