Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
With nearly 700 games played and 11 surgeries in the books, Andy Sutton doesn’t know how much more he has left in the tank.
Actually, he’s not sure there’s anything left at all.
That’s what Sutton told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun on Wednesday in advance of surgery No. 12 — another knee procedure set to occur in a few weeks.
“I basically broke a chunk off my femur, the piece I broke off was giving me a lot of discomfort, so they went in and sort of cleaned up my knee and took out the chunk,” Sutton explained. “Now, I have to repair the defect that’s there. Otherwise, it’ll just keep getting bigger.
“It’s bone on bone in two spots in my knee.”
Sutton, 37, inked a one-year, $1.75 million extension with the Oilers in February. The deal was largely in part to his 2011-12 campaign — the towering defenseman had 10 points in 52 games, finished plus-5, recorded 112 hits and averaged 16:41 of ice time, despite being sidelined by injury (he also missed 13 games to suspension.)
Edmonton also retained Sutton to be a veteran presence on a young team.
Everybody knows about the kids up front, but the Oilers are relatively inexperienced on defense as well — Sutton and Nick Schultz are the only blueliners over the age of 30, and big things are expected of Justin Schultz (22) and Jeff Petry (24) this year.
Sutton would be a solid mentor for the group, but isn’t sure he’ll adequately recover from this latest procedure.
“I guess the road to recovery from that is quite long and arduous,” he explained. “So I don’t know, this is going to be my 12th surgery.
“I’m pretty tired of what I’ve done to my body.”
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 61
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 49
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 32
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (65)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)