Nov 21, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
Exactly why the NHLPA sent an update on the CBA negotiations to a Member of Parliament in Canada isn’t clear, but ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun has published the entire letter, which is dated Monday.
Update: According to the Globe and Mail, the letter “was believed to be in response to a member of parliament threatening Canadian government intervention into the lockout and demanding an update on the situation on behalf of angry constituents.”
The content of the missive is nothing new for those who have been following the NHL’s work stoppage – the union makes it clear that “the lockout was a unilateral decision taken by the owners” and that “negotiations could have continued while games were played.”
It’s also not clear if the letter was sent to one Member of Parliament or more (it’s simply addressed to “Member of Parliament”).
For PHT’s American readers who may not be familiar with federal politics up north, Canada is led by a majority Conservative Party government that doesn’t get a whole bunch of support from organized labor.
According to the Globe and Mail, the letter “was believed to be in response to a member of parliament threatening Canadian government intervention into the lockout and demanding an update on the situation on behalf of angry constituents.”
Mar 16, 2014, 7:51 PM EDT
Did Carl Hagelin score? Judge for yourself.
Mar 16, 2014, 7:26 PM EDT
Also included: video of Kevin Bieksa’s impressive “save.”
Mar 16, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
The rivalry relocated.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:33 PM EDT
Tough loss for a player on a hot streak.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:18 PM EDT
It will begin 1-0, but with a full 60-minute game.
Mar 16, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Washington gets two key points in regulation.
Mar 16, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Good timing considering Chicago’s recent stumbles.
Mar 16, 2014, 5:13 PM EDT
Yep, he’s ridiculous.
Mar 16, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT
He sustained the lower-body injury earlier this week.
Mar 16, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT
Pittsburgh just lost back-to-back contests to Philadelphia.
Mar 16, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
Wayne Simmonds had two goals and an assist to reach the 50-point milestone.
Mar 16, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Robin Lehner will play between the pipes instead.
Mar 16, 2014, 1:47 PM EDT
Jhonas Enroth started for Buffalo on Saturday.
Mar 16, 2014, 1:08 PM EDT
He wasn’t having a bad game, but his teammates were.
Mar 16, 2014, 12:20 PM EDT
Crosby and Malkin might get more playing time together as a result.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
The game starts at 12:30 p.m. ET.
Mar 16, 2014, 11:19 AM EDT
Winnipeg is six points behind Dallas with 14 games to go.
Mar 16, 2014, 10:40 AM EDT
He’s been a big part of Tampa Bay’s success this season.
Mar 16, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
He’ll rest instead.
Mar 16, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
The Red Wings will be in a very bad place if they lose this one.
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 0
- Lack’s Canucks win to end weekend of awkward reunions for Luongo 1
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 3
- NHL reschedules Blue Jackets-Stars game halted by Peverley collapse to April 9 1
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 8
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 26
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 17
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)