Nov 21, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
Exactly why the NHLPA sent an update on the CBA negotiations to a Member of Parliament in Canada isn’t clear, but ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun has published the entire letter, which is dated Monday.
Update: According to the Globe and Mail, the letter “was believed to be in response to a member of parliament threatening Canadian government intervention into the lockout and demanding an update on the situation on behalf of angry constituents.”
The content of the missive is nothing new for those who have been following the NHL’s work stoppage – the union makes it clear that “the lockout was a unilateral decision taken by the owners” and that “negotiations could have continued while games were played.”
It’s also not clear if the letter was sent to one Member of Parliament or more (it’s simply addressed to “Member of Parliament”).
For PHT’s American readers who may not be familiar with federal politics up north, Canada is led by a majority Conservative Party government that doesn’t get a whole bunch of support from organized labor.
According to the Globe and Mail, the letter “was believed to be in response to a member of parliament threatening Canadian government intervention into the lockout and demanding an update on the situation on behalf of angry constituents.”
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 11
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)