Nov 21, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
Exactly why the NHLPA sent an update on the CBA negotiations to a Member of Parliament in Canada isn’t clear, but ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun has published the entire letter, which is dated Monday.
Update: According to the Globe and Mail, the letter “was believed to be in response to a member of parliament threatening Canadian government intervention into the lockout and demanding an update on the situation on behalf of angry constituents.”
The content of the missive is nothing new for those who have been following the NHL’s work stoppage – the union makes it clear that “the lockout was a unilateral decision taken by the owners” and that “negotiations could have continued while games were played.”
It’s also not clear if the letter was sent to one Member of Parliament or more (it’s simply addressed to “Member of Parliament”).
For PHT’s American readers who may not be familiar with federal politics up north, Canada is led by a majority Conservative Party government that doesn’t get a whole bunch of support from organized labor.
According to the Globe and Mail, the letter “was believed to be in response to a member of parliament threatening Canadian government intervention into the lockout and demanding an update on the situation on behalf of angry constituents.”
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)