Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the most famous names from Team USA’s Miracle on Ice gold medal squad at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics is that of the game-winning goalscorer against the Russians — Mike Eruzione.
Now, the name will forever be etched on the game of hockey.
On Wednesday night in Eruzione’s hometown of Winthrop, MA, the Lawrence Larsen Rink will be renamed “The Larsen Rink at the Mike Eruzione Center.”
It’s an honor that nearly left the 58-year-old speechless.
“When they told me this was going to happen, it was mind boggling,” Eruzione told the Boston Herald. “For once in my life, I was at a loss for words. My line is going to be the same one as coach (Jack) Parker’s when they named the rink at BU after him: ‘Thank God it’s not the Eruzione Memorial Rink.’ ”
Larsen was a former director of Winthrop’s youth hockey program. Eruzione recalls him once flooding and freezing local tennis courts so kids could have a place to play (Larsen passed away in 1993 at the age of 76.)
Following his dramatic goal at Lake Placid, Eruzione worked as a television broadcaster for NHL games and returned to his alma mater of Boston University to serve as an assistant coach for three seasons.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 20
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)