Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the most famous names from Team USA’s Miracle on Ice gold medal squad at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics is that of the game-winning goalscorer against the Russians — Mike Eruzione.
Now, the name will forever be etched on the game of hockey.
On Wednesday night in Eruzione’s hometown of Winthrop, MA, the Lawrence Larsen Rink will be renamed “The Larsen Rink at the Mike Eruzione Center.”
It’s an honor that nearly left the 58-year-old speechless.
“When they told me this was going to happen, it was mind boggling,” Eruzione told the Boston Herald. “For once in my life, I was at a loss for words. My line is going to be the same one as coach (Jack) Parker’s when they named the rink at BU after him: ‘Thank God it’s not the Eruzione Memorial Rink.’ ”
Larsen was a former director of Winthrop’s youth hockey program. Eruzione recalls him once flooding and freezing local tennis courts so kids could have a place to play (Larsen passed away in 1993 at the age of 76.)
Following his dramatic goal at Lake Placid, Eruzione worked as a television broadcaster for NHL games and returned to his alma mater of Boston University to serve as an assistant coach for three seasons.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)