Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the most famous names from Team USA’s Miracle on Ice gold medal squad at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics is that of the game-winning goalscorer against the Russians — Mike Eruzione.
Now, the name will forever be etched on the game of hockey.
On Wednesday night in Eruzione’s hometown of Winthrop, MA, the Lawrence Larsen Rink will be renamed “The Larsen Rink at the Mike Eruzione Center.”
It’s an honor that nearly left the 58-year-old speechless.
“When they told me this was going to happen, it was mind boggling,” Eruzione told the Boston Herald. “For once in my life, I was at a loss for words. My line is going to be the same one as coach (Jack) Parker’s when they named the rink at BU after him: ‘Thank God it’s not the Eruzione Memorial Rink.’ ”
Larsen was a former director of Winthrop’s youth hockey program. Eruzione recalls him once flooding and freezing local tennis courts so kids could have a place to play (Larsen passed away in 1993 at the age of 76.)
Following his dramatic goal at Lake Placid, Eruzione worked as a television broadcaster for NHL games and returned to his alma mater of Boston University to serve as an assistant coach for three seasons.
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 0
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 0
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 44
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)