Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the most famous names from Team USA’s Miracle on Ice gold medal squad at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics is that of the game-winning goalscorer against the Russians — Mike Eruzione.
Now, the name will forever be etched on the game of hockey.
On Wednesday night in Eruzione’s hometown of Winthrop, MA, the Lawrence Larsen Rink will be renamed “The Larsen Rink at the Mike Eruzione Center.”
It’s an honor that nearly left the 58-year-old speechless.
“When they told me this was going to happen, it was mind boggling,” Eruzione told the Boston Herald. “For once in my life, I was at a loss for words. My line is going to be the same one as coach (Jack) Parker’s when they named the rink at BU after him: ‘Thank God it’s not the Eruzione Memorial Rink.’ ”
Larsen was a former director of Winthrop’s youth hockey program. Eruzione recalls him once flooding and freezing local tennis courts so kids could have a place to play (Larsen passed away in 1993 at the age of 76.)
Following his dramatic goal at Lake Placid, Eruzione worked as a television broadcaster for NHL games and returned to his alma mater of Boston University to serve as an assistant coach for three seasons.
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 4
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 17
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 37
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)