Nov 21, 2012, 12:00 PM EST
One of the most famous names from Team USA’s Miracle on Ice gold medal squad at the 1980 Lake Placid Olympics is that of the game-winning goalscorer against the Russians — Mike Eruzione.
Now, the name will forever be etched on the game of hockey.
On Wednesday night in Eruzione’s hometown of Winthrop, MA, the Lawrence Larsen Rink will be renamed “The Larsen Rink at the Mike Eruzione Center.”
It’s an honor that nearly left the 58-year-old speechless.
“When they told me this was going to happen, it was mind boggling,” Eruzione told the Boston Herald. “For once in my life, I was at a loss for words. My line is going to be the same one as coach (Jack) Parker’s when they named the rink at BU after him: ‘Thank God it’s not the Eruzione Memorial Rink.’ ”
Larsen was a former director of Winthrop’s youth hockey program. Eruzione recalls him once flooding and freezing local tennis courts so kids could have a place to play (Larsen passed away in 1993 at the age of 76.)
Following his dramatic goal at Lake Placid, Eruzione worked as a television broadcaster for NHL games and returned to his alma mater of Boston University to serve as an assistant coach for three seasons.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 43
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)