Nov 21, 2012, 2:34 PM EDT
On Saturday, New Jersey Devils GM Lou Lamoriello and ex-NHLer Mark Recchi were inducted into the National Italian American Sports Hall of Fame at a ceremony in Rosemont, Ill.
This year’s entry class held special significance as it was the NIASHF’s 35th anniversary induction. Other noteworthy entrants included Dodgers GM Ned Colletti, Olympic gymnast Alicia Sacramone and former Atlanta Braves pitcher John Smoltz, who must’ve married in or something.
The induction capped off what’s been a prestigious year for Lamoriello. On Oct. 15, he was inducted into the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame alongside Ed Olczyk and Mike Modano and in June, the Devils made it to the Stanley Cup finals for the fifth time in his career.
As for Recchi, he now joins a select list of NHL players that have made the Italian American Sports Hall of Fame: Tom Barrasso, Dino Ciccarelli, Alex Delvecchio, Phil Esposito, Tony Esposito and John Mariucci.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)