Nov 21, 2012, 5:53 PM EDT
While most players are taking to Twitter and other venues to spout the usual NHLPA company line, veteran defenseman Roman Hamrlik isn’t bashing Gary Bettman.
“I am disgusted,” Hamrlik said. “We have to push Fehr to the wall to get the deal. Time is against us. We lost [one-quarter of the] season, [about] $425M. Who will give it back to us? Mr. Fehr? There should be voting between players. Four questions – YES or NO – then count it. If half of players say lets play, then they should sign new CBA. If there is no season he should leave and we will find someone new. Time is our enemy.”
This is a huge break from most of the player reactions, which PHT will cover later tonight.
Hamrlik is likely at the tail end of his career at 38, so he’s in a unique situation where he doesn’t have a lot to lose by being honest.
(He also has a lot to lose if there’s no season; Hamrlik is in the final year of a contract worth $3.5 million per season.)
The natural – and maybe unanswerable – question is: how many players feel the same way as Hamrlik? If that silent group is large, then there could indeed be plenty of “momentum” for the owners.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (98)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)