Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Claude Giroux has offered some reassuring words in the wake of a recent neck injury that forced him to leave Berlin and visit a concussion specialist:
He’s going to be OK.
“I’m fine,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia. “I’m just making sure that I am 100 percent.
“I will be fine.”
Giroux first suffered the injury after being checked in the head during a German league game last Friday, but initially brushed it off as a minor issue.
“Just a little neck injury,” he told the Philadelphia Daily News. “[Don't] read too much into it.”
Despite that diagnosis, the Flyers star was slow to recover. After a battery of head- and neck-injury tests in Berlin, the decision was made to return to North America and visit with Dr. Ted Carrick.
The decision to visit Carrick likely stemmed from Giroux’s history with head injuries. He’s been sidelined by concussions twice in his career — he missed five games during the 2008-09 season and another four during the 2010-11 campaign.
Despite this, agent Peter Lee said all the moves thus far have been precautionary…and nothing more.
“We wanted to double-check because we weren’t going to push him,” Lee told the Ottawa Sun. “You know how it is with players, we didn’t want him to make the decision, we want to make sure he’s going to be fine. “
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 1
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 2
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 6
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)