Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Claude Giroux has offered some reassuring words in the wake of a recent neck injury that forced him to leave Berlin and visit a concussion specialist:
He’s going to be OK.
“I’m fine,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia. “I’m just making sure that I am 100 percent.
“I will be fine.”
Giroux first suffered the injury after being checked in the head during a German league game last Friday, but initially brushed it off as a minor issue.
“Just a little neck injury,” he told the Philadelphia Daily News. “[Don't] read too much into it.”
Despite that diagnosis, the Flyers star was slow to recover. After a battery of head- and neck-injury tests in Berlin, the decision was made to return to North America and visit with Dr. Ted Carrick.
The decision to visit Carrick likely stemmed from Giroux’s history with head injuries. He’s been sidelined by concussions twice in his career — he missed five games during the 2008-09 season and another four during the 2010-11 campaign.
Despite this, agent Peter Lee said all the moves thus far have been precautionary…and nothing more.
“We wanted to double-check because we weren’t going to push him,” Lee told the Ottawa Sun. “You know how it is with players, we didn’t want him to make the decision, we want to make sure he’s going to be fine. “
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 43
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)