Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Claude Giroux has offered some reassuring words in the wake of a recent neck injury that forced him to leave Berlin and visit a concussion specialist:
He’s going to be OK.
“I’m fine,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia. “I’m just making sure that I am 100 percent.
“I will be fine.”
Giroux first suffered the injury after being checked in the head during a German league game last Friday, but initially brushed it off as a minor issue.
“Just a little neck injury,” he told the Philadelphia Daily News. “[Don't] read too much into it.”
Despite that diagnosis, the Flyers star was slow to recover. After a battery of head- and neck-injury tests in Berlin, the decision was made to return to North America and visit with Dr. Ted Carrick.
The decision to visit Carrick likely stemmed from Giroux’s history with head injuries. He’s been sidelined by concussions twice in his career — he missed five games during the 2008-09 season and another four during the 2010-11 campaign.
Despite this, agent Peter Lee said all the moves thus far have been precautionary…and nothing more.
“We wanted to double-check because we weren’t going to push him,” Lee told the Ottawa Sun. “You know how it is with players, we didn’t want him to make the decision, we want to make sure he’s going to be fine. “
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 7
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 6
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 31
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 53
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 83
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut