Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EST
Claude Giroux has offered some reassuring words in the wake of a recent neck injury that forced him to leave Berlin and visit a concussion specialist:
He’s going to be OK.
“I’m fine,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia. “I’m just making sure that I am 100 percent.
“I will be fine.”
Giroux first suffered the injury after being checked in the head during a German league game last Friday, but initially brushed it off as a minor issue.
“Just a little neck injury,” he told the Philadelphia Daily News. “[Don’t] read too much into it.”
Despite that diagnosis, the Flyers star was slow to recover. After a battery of head- and neck-injury tests in Berlin, the decision was made to return to North America and visit with Dr. Ted Carrick.
The decision to visit Carrick likely stemmed from Giroux’s history with head injuries. He’s been sidelined by concussions twice in his career — he missed five games during the 2008-09 season and another four during the 2010-11 campaign.
Despite this, agent Peter Lee said all the moves thus far have been precautionary…and nothing more.
“We wanted to double-check because we weren’t going to push him,” Lee told the Ottawa Sun. “You know how it is with players, we didn’t want him to make the decision, we want to make sure he’s going to be fine. “
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 21
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 20
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 23
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 46
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 9
- Russia’s economic crisis causing big trouble for KHL (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (54)
- Wild upset with late penalty call that led to Blackhawks winner (48)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (46)