Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Claude Giroux has offered some reassuring words in the wake of a recent neck injury that forced him to leave Berlin and visit a concussion specialist:
He’s going to be OK.
“I’m fine,” Giroux told CSN Philadelphia. “I’m just making sure that I am 100 percent.
“I will be fine.”
Giroux first suffered the injury after being checked in the head during a German league game last Friday, but initially brushed it off as a minor issue.
“Just a little neck injury,” he told the Philadelphia Daily News. “[Don’t] read too much into it.”
Despite that diagnosis, the Flyers star was slow to recover. After a battery of head- and neck-injury tests in Berlin, the decision was made to return to North America and visit with Dr. Ted Carrick.
The decision to visit Carrick likely stemmed from Giroux’s history with head injuries. He’s been sidelined by concussions twice in his career — he missed five games during the 2008-09 season and another four during the 2010-11 campaign.
Despite this, agent Peter Lee said all the moves thus far have been precautionary…and nothing more.
“We wanted to double-check because we weren’t going to push him,” Lee told the Ottawa Sun. “You know how it is with players, we didn’t want him to make the decision, we want to make sure he’s going to be fine. “
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 3
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 23
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 22
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)