Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Well this is interesting.
Anaheim Ducks forward Bobby Ryan — who’s been notably outspoken about his reasons for not signing overseas — has reportedly agreed to join Swedish second division team Mora IK.
News of the signing appeared on Mora’s website Wednesday.
Ryan’s move to Sweden will raise more than a few eyebrows.
In early October, he told the Courier-Post he had zero intention to leave North America or pursue playing opportunities elsewhere.
“I’m going to handle things the way I think things should be handled,” Ryan said. “I’m going to continue to skate with the guys … whether it’s coming back here [to South Jersey] for a couple weeks at a time … I think it’s important to stay here [in the United States] and be part of the solution and not just run from it.”
That wasn’t the first time Ryan expressed a strong opinion about not going overseas.
In September, he told the OC Register he didn’t want to head to Europe and steal another hockey player’s gig.
“I know you’ll lose guys right way,” Ryan said, two days before the lockout began. “That being said, I’m an NHL player. I’m not going to take somebody else’s job overseas.”
But with the lockout nearing Day 70 and CBA talks seemingly going nowhere, Ryan apparently had a change of heart. He’s now set to become the latest in a growing number of locked-out NHLers playing in the Allsvenskan.
He’ll join Los Angeles Kings center Anze Kopitar with Mora, and will soon face off against a number of former opponents: Gabriel Landeskog, Matt Read, Douglas Murray and Patric Hornqvist, to name a few.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)