Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Well this is interesting.
Anaheim Ducks forward Bobby Ryan — who’s been notably outspoken about his reasons for not signing overseas — has reportedly agreed to join Swedish second division team Mora IK.
News of the signing appeared on Mora’s website Wednesday.
Ryan’s move to Sweden will raise more than a few eyebrows.
In early October, he told the Courier-Post he had zero intention to leave North America or pursue playing opportunities elsewhere.
“I’m going to handle things the way I think things should be handled,” Ryan said. “I’m going to continue to skate with the guys … whether it’s coming back here [to South Jersey] for a couple weeks at a time … I think it’s important to stay here [in the United States] and be part of the solution and not just run from it.”
That wasn’t the first time Ryan expressed a strong opinion about not going overseas.
In September, he told the OC Register he didn’t want to head to Europe and steal another hockey player’s gig.
“I know you’ll lose guys right way,” Ryan said, two days before the lockout began. “That being said, I’m an NHL player. I’m not going to take somebody else’s job overseas.”
But with the lockout nearing Day 70 and CBA talks seemingly going nowhere, Ryan apparently had a change of heart. He’s now set to become the latest in a growing number of locked-out NHLers playing in the Allsvenskan.
He’ll join Los Angeles Kings center Anze Kopitar with Mora, and will soon face off against a number of former opponents: Gabriel Landeskog, Matt Read, Douglas Murray and Patric Hornqvist, to name a few.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
Aug 3, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
Despite all the splashy moves, patience likely will be needed.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s another arbitration win for Ottawa.
Aug 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pondering a rebuilding process that took a leap.
Aug 3, 2015, 2:07 PM EDT
Perhaps you can broaden this to “keeping the puck out of their net.”
Aug 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
The league estimates such a process could cost about $13.5 million.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:57 AM EDT
In all likelihood Jack Eichel is going to make the team, but what about Buffalo’s other second overall pick?
Aug 3, 2015, 10:42 AM EDT
This is his chance to prove he’s a real No. 1 goalie.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:17 AM EDT
Ron DeGregorio rounded out the group.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The worst should be behind them.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Is his poor Game 7 record reflective of anything?
Aug 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
In other words, how much longer will Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, and Ryan Kesler stay at the top of their game?
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 8
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 27
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 28
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)