Nov 21, 2012, 3:19 PM EDT
Well this is interesting.
Anaheim Ducks forward Bobby Ryan — who’s been notably outspoken about his reasons for not signing overseas — has reportedly agreed to join Swedish second division team Mora IK.
News of the signing appeared on Mora’s website Wednesday.
Ryan’s move to Sweden will raise more than a few eyebrows.
In early October, he told the Courier-Post he had zero intention to leave North America or pursue playing opportunities elsewhere.
“I’m going to handle things the way I think things should be handled,” Ryan said. “I’m going to continue to skate with the guys … whether it’s coming back here [to South Jersey] for a couple weeks at a time … I think it’s important to stay here [in the United States] and be part of the solution and not just run from it.”
That wasn’t the first time Ryan expressed a strong opinion about not going overseas.
In September, he told the OC Register he didn’t want to head to Europe and steal another hockey player’s gig.
“I know you’ll lose guys right way,” Ryan said, two days before the lockout began. “That being said, I’m an NHL player. I’m not going to take somebody else’s job overseas.”
But with the lockout nearing Day 70 and CBA talks seemingly going nowhere, Ryan apparently had a change of heart. He’s now set to become the latest in a growing number of locked-out NHLers playing in the Allsvenskan.
He’ll join Los Angeles Kings center Anze Kopitar with Mora, and will soon face off against a number of former opponents: Gabriel Landeskog, Matt Read, Douglas Murray and Patric Hornqvist, to name a few.
May 28, 2015, 11:16 PM EDT
“They need to hear our anthem, that’s a part of losing.”
May 28, 2015, 10:02 PM EDT
Sharp says Blackhawks are ready for “whatever [the Ducks] throw at us.”
May 28, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Victor Hedman: “We’re prepared for this.”
May 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Retirement remains a possibility, and it might be his call.
May 28, 2015, 6:35 PM EDT
Even their first names are similar (Jordan and Jaden). Fun times ahead …
May 28, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin, specifically.
May 28, 2015, 5:28 PM EDT
“The fact that Mr. Peladeau is a separatist…we know very well whether it’s the owners of the team in Toronto or the owners of the Canadiens, they’re not separatists and they don’t want Quebec to separate.”
May 28, 2015, 4:52 PM EDT
Says that “the expectation is to win right now.”
May 28, 2015, 3:48 PM EDT
Meanwhile, in the West, Corey Crawford has the edge in big-game experience over Frederik Andersen.
May 28, 2015, 3:39 PM EDT
Was set to become a UFA on July 1.
May 28, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT
Bit of a theme developing here…
May 28, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT
Pens to receive third-round pick in 2016 as compensation.
May 28, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
After scoring 80 points in 56 games for Youngstown.
May 28, 2015, 2:08 PM EDT
Rangers goalie knows he can’t rely on history to defeat the Lightning.
May 28, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT
The former Penguins coach is still under contract to Pittsburgh.
May 28, 2015, 12:27 PM EDT
Former Preds forward, who played for Roy in junior, is currently with KHL club CSKA.
May 28, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
Has spent the past three seasons coaching the Flyers’ AHL affiliate.
May 28, 2015, 12:05 PM EDT
Spent part of last season with the Bruins
May 28, 2015, 11:49 AM EDT
Which they lost by a score of 6-2.
May 28, 2015, 11:41 AM EDT
Which is next Wednesday.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)