Nov 21, 2012, 9:59 PM EST
Perhaps Roman Hamrlik‘s surprising comments about Donald Fehr represented a silent group of disenfranchised players, but Erik Cole wasn’t shy about airing his misgivings about Hamrlik’s viewpoints to Dave Stubbs of the Montreal Gazette on Wednesday.
“For him to come out and say this, it’s the most selfish thing I’ve heard during the lockout. Without a doubt,” Cole said. “It’s just disappointing. You’d think the veteran guys are the guys who’d take more pride in what other veteran guys sacrificed in the last lockout, how we all benefited from that as a group. Some guys never played again.”
Interestingly, Cole said that Hamrlik would be lying if he claimed that his comments were taken out of context or translated poorly because Hamrlik expressed similar views to players before (the original interview came from iSport.cz).
It almost sounds like Cole would drop the gloves with Hamrlik if given the chance.
“If he were sitting in a dressing room across from me tonight … ” Cole said, the rest of that sentence off the record. “I’d be all over him on the ice. I’m pissed at him. If that’s his opinion, then he should just stay over there (in the Czech Republic).”
Perhaps some of this reaction comes down to tensions regarding Wednesday’s talks, though. He didn’t seem very convinced that the sides generated much “momentum,” after all.
“It was basically another dismissal but (the NHL was) smart enough not to do it within 10 minutes,” Cole said.
So, yeah, Cole seems quite upset.
In case you’re wondering, barring potential cancellations, Cole’s Montreal Canadiens would face Hamrlik’s Washington Capitals on Dec. 20, March 7 and April 4.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 2
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 9
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 11
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 40
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)