Nov 21, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
For the most part, players are standing behind Donald Fehr in the continued CBA discussions, but some are faltering here and there.
Roman Hamrlik goes far enough to wonder if if Fehr should be ousted if the season gets totally canceled, while Paul “Biz Nasty” Bissonnette admitted on Sirius XM’s Home Ice that he’d take a salary rollback on Wednesday.
Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski transcribed some of his most notable comments:
“We’re a union. We have to stay together,” Bissonnette said. “If anything, it’s the opposite of greedy. We’re not asking for more money, we’re just asking for what we signed for. At this point, would I take a little bit of a rollback? Absolutely, just to get back playing. But we trust what Fehr’s telling us, and the way he’s leading us. And that’s that.”
Unlike many others, he’s not beating up on Gary Bettman, who Bissonnette believes is “just trying to do his job.”
Instead, he critiques (but doesn’t slam?) Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs.
“I’m more upset with a guy like [Boston Bruins owner Jeremy] Jacobs,” Bissonnette said. “It just sounds so hypocritical for him to think the last CBA was so awful and how garbage it was, and then go out and sign three of his top guys right before the last one expired. If it was that bad, why rush to sign those guys?”
The outspoken enforcer doesn’t reprimand Fehr like Hamrlik did – there’s plenty of common themes in his comments – but admitting he’d take less money (and not bashing Bettman) emphasizes that there are some different views among players.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)