Nov 21, 2012, 4:27 PM EDT
Today in New York, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman admitted the league and players are “still far apart” in CBA negotiations; however, he did express appreciation at receiving a comprehensive proposal from the NHLPA.
“We’re still far apart,” said Bettman. “But hopefully there’s some momentum so we can bring this to a conclusion.”
The commissioner struck a somewhat more optimistic tone than NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr, who said earlier there was “no reciprocity in any meaningful sense” from the NHL in response to the union’s proposal.
In a related story, Bettman expressed his frustration at what he deemed the NHLPA’s “gamesmanship.”
Also noteworthy: an “angry” Flyers fan confronted Bettman during the press conference.
Image via Josh Yohe of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:
Following the media scrum, Bettman reportedly had a conversation with the man and “thanked him for being a fan.”
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 0
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)