Nov 20, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
Alex Semin has been in Russia for the last two months, but feels his conditioning isn’t up to snuff.
“Without a doubt, I still need to improve my physical condition,” Semin said, despite scoring two goals and seven points in eight games for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod. “I could have scored more points. A lot of chances have come up, but I don’t always have enough composure yet.”
Semin jumped to Russia soon after the NHL lockout began on Sept. 15. He first joined his hometown club, Sokol, which plays in the Russian second division (VHL).
After a short stint in Sokol, Semin was on the move again — he signed with Torpedo in mid-October and joined a club boasting a number of current and former NHLers: Anton Volchenkov, Denis Arkhipov, Robert Nilsson, Dmitry Bykov and Peter Schastlivy.
Semin missed a handful of games at the beginning of his Torpedo tenure with the flu.
The 28-year-old sniper signed a one-year, $7 million deal with the ‘Canes in late July and was expected to shine in the team’s new-look top six froward group — projected to be Semin, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Tuomo Ruutu, Jeff Skinner and Jussi Jokinen.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 8
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 28
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 3
- Report: Chiarelli to join Oilers’ front office 31
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)