Nov 20, 2012, 3:34 PM EDT
Alex Semin has been in Russia for the last two months, but feels his conditioning isn’t up to snuff.
“Without a doubt, I still need to improve my physical condition,” Semin said, despite scoring two goals and seven points in eight games for Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod. “I could have scored more points. A lot of chances have come up, but I don’t always have enough composure yet.”
Semin jumped to Russia soon after the NHL lockout began on Sept. 15. He first joined his hometown club, Sokol, which plays in the Russian second division (VHL).
After a short stint in Sokol, Semin was on the move again — he signed with Torpedo in mid-October and joined a club boasting a number of current and former NHLers: Anton Volchenkov, Denis Arkhipov, Robert Nilsson, Dmitry Bykov and Peter Schastlivy.
Semin missed a handful of games at the beginning of his Torpedo tenure with the flu.
The 28-year-old sniper signed a one-year, $7 million deal with the ‘Canes in late July and was expected to shine in the team’s new-look top six froward group — projected to be Semin, Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Tuomo Ruutu, Jeff Skinner and Jussi Jokinen.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 4
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 13
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)