Nov 20, 2012, 7:00 PM EDT
We know the talk between the owners and players has been littered with talk about how far apart they are on many issues, but there is common ground being reached.
Kevin McGran of the Toronto Star reports the two sides have “more or less” agreed on a number of issues and some of them are pretty fun.
- Moving the start of free agency to June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup has been awarded, whichever is later.
- Ability to trade salary cap space and give teams better ability to get out from loaded deals.
- Elimination of re-entry waivers.
- Neutral third-party arbitrators to weigh in on on-and-off-ice punishment.
- A joint health committee.
- Minimum roster requirements so teams couldn’t dress fewer players to dodge salary cap problems.
While none of these have much to do with the major problems causing issues in negotiations, they’re still interesting.
Free agency being moved to right after the season ends takes a page out of Major League Baseball’s book as their method is somewhat similar. It also moves the start of free agency off of July 1, a national holiday in Canada. That’s something a lot of players, agents, and executives would be ecstatic about.
Cutting out the ability to dump guys in the minors to save on cap space is one that’s been discussed before. Dealing away cap space to help move guys with monster deals will help make sure guys with NHL deals can stay out of the minors.
- Report: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 4
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 59
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 33
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 56
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 14
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 30
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings