Nov 20, 2012, 2:38 PM EST
Jaroslav Halak is set to become the latest locked-out goalie to find work overseas.
In doing so, Halak will join Pekka Rinne, Ilya Bryzgalov, Semyon Varlamov and Sergei Bobrovsky (KHL) Tuukka Rask and Ondrej Pavelec (Czech Extraliga), Antti Niemi (Finland) Viktor Fasth (Sweden) and Jonathan Bernier and Rick DiPietro (Germany) as NHL netminders that have signed abroad.
Last year, Halak teamed with Brian Elliott to give St. Louis the best goaltending tandem in hockey. The pair combined to win the William Jennings Trophy (fewest goals allowed) while Halak finished sixth in save percentage (.924), fourth in goals against (1.97) and fifth in shutouts (six).
Halak got the call to start for St. Louis in its opening-round playoff series against San Jose, but only lasted two games before suffering an ankle injury that ended his postseason.
The injury was significant enough that its effects lingered until mid-July, possibly why the 27-year-old waited so long before signing with a European club.
In Moscow, Halak will join a Spartak club currently employing ex-NHLers Shaone Morrisonn, Branko Radivojevic, Oleg Petrov and Bruins prospect Alexander Khokhlachev.
Despite the multiple reports linking him to the KHL, Halak has instead signed in the Bundesliga — Germany’s second division — for a club called Lausitzer.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EST
Expected to formally announce his retirement next Thursday morning.
Nov 27, 2014, 5:15 PM EST
Talented center would be a prized pickup at the deadline.
Nov 27, 2014, 4:00 PM EST
Patrick Roy doesn’t own part of a junior team anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:41 PM EST
Incident occurred during Wednesday’s Jets-Sabres game.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:27 PM EST
Linden Vey gets back into the lineup for tomorrow’s game in Columbus.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:12 PM EST
Dallas forward has history as a repeat offender.
Nov 27, 2014, 2:03 PM EST
That’s a picture of Shawn Thornton, who doesn’t play for them anymore.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:59 PM EST
Just two goals in 20 games this year.
Nov 27, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
Devils currently sit 12th in the Eastern Conference.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:29 PM EST
Played in 14 games over parts of the last three seasons.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:17 PM EST
Following Tuesday’s “mind-numbing” change in Dallas.
Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST
Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 AM EST
That’s the feeling, at least.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST
Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST
Center had a career-high 18 goals and 39 points last year.
Nov 27, 2014, 10:59 AM EST
Not listed: glorious gluttony.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EST
“It’s pretty easy to see things slipping away,” Steve Mason said.
Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EST
The hit generated a five-minute major and game misconduct.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:18 AM EST
Turkey Day’s assortment of links.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 24
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)