Nov 20, 2012, 1:35 PM EDT
On Tuesday, the NHL’s Central Scouting Services unveiled its list of the top prospects of the 2013 Entry Draft and, to nobody’s surprise, Nathan MacKinnon and Seth Jones are at the top.
MacKinnon — a high-scoring center from the Halifax Mooseheads — is the top-ranked skater from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League while Jones, a physically-imposing defenseman from the Portland Winterhawks, is the No. 1 skater from the Western League.
It’s widely believed one of the two will go first overall when the 2013 draft takes place in Newark, N.J. on June 28.
Other noteworthy rankings from the CSS preliminary list:
– Ottawa’s Sean Monahan was the top-rated skater from the OHL.
“His production probably would be quite a bit more if he had somebody who could finish for him,” Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards told NHL.com. “He gets pucks through traffic, has real good hands, real good play-making ability. He’s got an excellent shot, gets it off real quick and gets himself involved in battles for pucks. He’s used in every situation, double- and triple-shifted at times.”
– JT Compher of the US U-18 team is the top-rated skater from the USHL. Compher is slated to play at the University of Michigan next fall, but has missed his last 15 USHL games with an undisclosed injury.
– Aleksander Barkov Jr. is the top-rated Finnish skater and arguably the top European prospect heading into the draft.
“He’s smart, cool, effective and creative,” Director of European Scouting Goran Stubb told NHL.com. “He’s a two-way strength, who sees the ice very well. His father was a great player, who played in Russia and then spent 10 years with Tappara. Aleksander Jr. plays the same style as his dad did.”
– Elias Lindholm is the No. 1 Swedish skater while Valeri Nichushkin, a 6-foot-4, 200-pound winger, is the No. 1 Russian skater.
Lindholm has drawn rave reviews by scoring 14 points in 22 Swedish Elite League games this year, while some are saying Nichushkin could be an Evgeni Malkin prototype given his combination of size and skill.
Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT
Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT
Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT
Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars get the extra point.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.
Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT
On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.
Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT
Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.
Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.
Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT
San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.
Oct 24, 2014, 6:32 PM EDT
Tough times lately for St. Louis.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:47 PM EDT
Highly-touted rearguard on his way to the bigs.
Oct 24, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Hey, maybe the NHL should try 3-on-3 overtime.
Oct 24, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Speaking from experience.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
Returns to the Cardiff team he played for during the lockout.
Oct 24, 2014, 3:32 PM EDT
All the news and notes from the blue paint…
Oct 24, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
“Anytime you go personal with family…to me, that’s very disrespectful to the player and our profession.”
Oct 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
“Everybody understands the system, everybody knows what we expect.”
Oct 24, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
“We’ve got to do our research here and come up with the best solution we can.”
Oct 24, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
They’re back at it in Edmonton tonight.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 0
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)