Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Having players skate overseas hasn’t gone well for the New York Rangers.
McDonagh left KHL club Barys Astana until December’s international break to recover from an undisclosed ailment. While it’s unclear exactly what McDonagh’s injury is, he did play 19:03 in Barys’ 5-3 loss to Metallurg on Saturday.
Andrey Odaschenko of The Hockey News, the first to report McDonagh’s departure, also stated the Rangers’ blueliner left in part for “family reasons.”
(Note: It is Thanksgiving, so he could’ve simply gone home for the holidays.)
Hagelin, meanwhile, already took leave of Swedish club Sodertalje to rehab a shoulder injury suffered on Oct. 31 — but on Wednesday, the Allsvenskan club formally announced it was terminating Hagelin’s contract, a deal that was set to run through Dec. 8.
The 24-year-old speedster left Sweden for New York in early November and will remain in the Big Apple to rehab his injury.
Update: Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News says the McDonagh injury isn’t serious or a concern…
— Pat Leonard (@NYDNRangers) November 20, 2012
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 8
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 6
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 31
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 56
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 83
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut