Nov 20, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
Having players skate overseas hasn’t gone well for the New York Rangers.
McDonagh left KHL club Barys Astana until December’s international break to recover from an undisclosed ailment. While it’s unclear exactly what McDonagh’s injury is, he did play 19:03 in Barys’ 5-3 loss to Metallurg on Saturday.
Andrey Odaschenko of The Hockey News, the first to report McDonagh’s departure, also stated the Rangers’ blueliner left in part for “family reasons.”
(Note: It is Thanksgiving, so he could’ve simply gone home for the holidays.)
Hagelin, meanwhile, already took leave of Swedish club Sodertalje to rehab a shoulder injury suffered on Oct. 31 — but on Wednesday, the Allsvenskan club formally announced it was terminating Hagelin’s contract, a deal that was set to run through Dec. 8.
The 24-year-old speedster left Sweden for New York in early November and will remain in the Big Apple to rehab his injury.
Update: Pat Leonard of the New York Daily News says the McDonagh injury isn’t serious or a concern…
— Pat Leonard (@NYDNRangers) November 20, 2012
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (97)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (77)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (40)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)