Nov 20, 2012, 4:34 PM EDT
On Tuesday, the American Hockey League announced it would extend its trial period of hybrid icing.
American Hockey League President and Chief Executive Officer David Andrews announced today that the league’s Board of Governors has voted to continue the current test of AHL Rule 82 (“Icing”) until the resumption of play in the National Hockey League, at which time it will be reconsidered by the AHL Board.
At the request of the National Hockey League, the AHL Board of Governors in June approved a test of a variation of Rule 82 that, in the event of a potential icing violation, completes the play should a defending player be the first to reach the end zone face-off dots and provided the puck will cross the goal line at that point.
In late October, Andrews spoke with The Sporting News about the implementation of hybrid icing and was quick to call it a success:
SN: You have hybrid icing this year. It’s not the first time you’ve tetsted rules for the NHL. How is this one going?
DA: Perfect. I have had nothing but positive feedback from coaches, from players, from scouts. It’s going really well. We’re going to evaluate it on Nov. 19, when we meet with the competition committee, and we’ll get feedback from NHL general managers, but I expect we’ll leave it in for the rest of the year.
Sabres GM Darcy Regier has been following AHL Rochester throughout the year and said he’s on board with the hybrid idea.
“I’ve seen enough of it that I want to see more of it,” he told the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 5
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)