Nov 19, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
“I’ve spoken to Evander and he just found the hockey to be different,” Craig Oster told the Winnipeg Free Press. “The style to be different, the training to be different.
“I think the coaching was a challenge at times.”
It’s not surprising to hear of a possible coaching issue.
After just three games, Dinamo bench boss Kari Heikkila blasted Kane for being out of shape, saying the 21-year-old was “not ready yet to play on KHL level.”
As for the hockey being “different” overseas? Well, that’s a possible explanation for why one of the NHL’s premier young power forwards flopped so badly in Minsk.
Kane finished his brief KHL stint with one goal and no assists in 12 games, and his most noteworthy moment was receiving a one-game suspension for a check to the head of Avangar Omsk defenseman Nikita Pivatski.
To be fair, Kane isn’t the only NHLer that’s had a less than stellar European experience:
Oster also suggested the nature of Kane’s contract with Minsk played a role in his departure.
“This arrangement didn’t have a set time limit. It was a month-to-month deal,” Oster explained. “For both sides, it felt like it had run its course.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)