Nov 19, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
“I’ve spoken to Evander and he just found the hockey to be different,” Craig Oster told the Winnipeg Free Press. “The style to be different, the training to be different.
“I think the coaching was a challenge at times.”
It’s not surprising to hear of a possible coaching issue.
After just three games, Dinamo bench boss Kari Heikkila blasted Kane for being out of shape, saying the 21-year-old was “not ready yet to play on KHL level.”
As for the hockey being “different” overseas? Well, that’s a possible explanation for why one of the NHL’s premier young power forwards flopped so badly in Minsk.
Kane finished his brief KHL stint with one goal and no assists in 12 games, and his most noteworthy moment was receiving a one-game suspension for a check to the head of Avangar Omsk defenseman Nikita Pivatski.
To be fair, Kane isn’t the only NHLer that’s had a less than stellar European experience:
Oster also suggested the nature of Kane’s contract with Minsk played a role in his departure.
“This arrangement didn’t have a set time limit. It was a month-to-month deal,” Oster explained. “For both sides, it felt like it had run its course.”
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 42
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)