Fehr shares his take on Monday’s meeting

Nov 19, 2012, 10:10 PM EDT

Donald Fehr: Sidney Crosby AP

While NHL exec Bill Daly provided a candid take on Monday’s meeting and the CBA discussions as a whole, NHLPA head Donald Fehr laid out what went on tonight – and what might happen tomorrow.

First things first, Fehr told ESPN’s Katie Strang that the ownership side was “unwilling” to discuss the contentious contracting issues.

As expected, Fehr confirmed that the NHLPA didn’t make a new proposal, but they did “flesh out” some of the issues from their previous offer.

Ultimately, it comes down to what Daly and the NHL asked for: a full, formal proposal on Tuesday.

As far as that’s concerned, there are two interesting bits.

To start, here’s what Fehr told RDS’ Renaud P. Lavoie about the possibility of coming up with something tomorrow.

“We are going to think about what was said and think about our next step,” Fehr said.

TSN’s Darren Dreger mapped out a possible plan from the NHLPA.

So what’s going to happen? Marc Staal‘s comment to New York Newsday’s Steve Zipay probably captures the consensus:

“We’ll see,” Staal said.

1. valoisvipers - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Fehr is always a day late and a penny short.
    Crunch time and the A-hole comes in with nothing, not even a “I didn’t crunch the numbers” type of proposal from his back pocket scrawled on a napkin. But hey the poor guy isn’t taken his salary right now so he must’ve wanted another free lunch from the league.
    The league had said when they asked for a 2 week moratorium on the talks and that they are done making offers and Fehr says lets meet and has nothing new to offer.Sick puppy no not puppy, puppies are cute. Herr Fehr not so much.

• shotzongoal - Nov 20, 2012 at 10:14 AM

You can bet your saving that while Fehr may not be taking a salary now, he’ll get every penny due him at the end of these negotiations. Just another union misdirection!

2. mississippimudslinger - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:23 PM

2012-2013 NHL season
    nah nan nah nah
    nah nah nah nah
    hey hey hey
    GOODBYE!

3. brightredblood - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:26 PM

As a newer hockey fan who just started following the sport religiously last season (been kind of watching for a while though), I find it hard to find even a tiny pathetic bit of optimism with this.

Just my luck. *said in best Eeyore voice you can ever imagine*

• blomfeld - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:12 AM

Welcome to the “coolest game on ice” friend !

Not sure if you’ve formed an allegiance with a team yet ? But if you haven’t, then you might want to consider signing on with us LA Kings. We’re the “best” there is right now and we’ve only just begun a dynasty of “multiple” Stanley Cup championships ! We’re like “totally” cool and last season during our road games, we apparently drew an average TV audience of 50,000 people from the state of California ! That’s “unreal” man, especially when you consider that that’s coming from a state with close to 40 million people ! :)

• isithockeyseasonyet - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:39 AM

What’s wrong with being a kings fan? Personally, I am not but just because a team doesn’t have a religious following doesn’t make it wrong to support them, my guess is you’re a rangers or penguins fan saying something stupid like that, all that I hope is you’re not a fan of the same team I am

• mgp1219 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

blomfeld….please just go away. your posts are self indulgent and have too many words unnecissarily in “quotes”.

“You” “don’t” “need” “to” “put” “quotation” “marks” “around” “so” “many” ” words” “to” “get” “your” “point” “across”.

• blomfeld - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Mgp1219 – You’ve almost got it friend, though just a tad less with the quotes … for example try this … “my name is “Mgp1219″ and I’m a “complete” idiot !” …

4. valoisvipers - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:28 PM

missmud Go away or change your name and then try to post something meaningful.Because on this site your name is mud. Ironic I post about sick puppies and sure enough missmud is the very next poster. Go figure.

• mississippimudslinger - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:26 PM

you sound mad!!! you’ll be awright princess dont worry!

• blomfeld - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I love you man …

5. ripaslapper - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Fehr’s latest tactic: frustrate them into submission. In other news, Daly buys more Advil.

6. sampulls - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Is it just me or is Fehr showing no respect for this process. At least the Bettman is bringing well thought out proposals to the table.

• tatdue - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Ya……well thought out to f@%k the players…..

7. muckthefets - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM

One could get the impression that Fehr just doesn’t give a S**t about anything but his own legacy…

8. id4joey - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I’m sure Bettman is no dummy, but keep in mind he”s only the front man representing the NHL in this conflict. Rest assured there is a team of high priced lawyers from the firm of Proskauer Rose LLP. These guys were there in 03-04, and unless I’m mistaken Bettman came from that firm, and Stern did as well.

• blomfeld - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Id4joey – You’re very astute friend and I concur with your thinking. Nonetheless, I don’t believe that these pigs will be able to use the NBA experience from last year as a “facsimile” template. Basketball is a completely different game from hockey. In basketball much of the game itself, just like the season, is completely meaningless. It’s a game given to last minute “theatrics” and nothing more. Hockey on the other hand is a game given to theater “throughout” … not just in the final two minutes. And so I can’t see Bettman and company playing this out until next month. There has to be at least 60 games played for a season to make any sense at all .. and therefore “something” surely has to give this week ?

• id4joey - Nov 20, 2012 at 5:30 AM

blomfeld, In 1994–95 the league shortened the season to 48 games. The season went from January 20 to May 3. Regular-season games were limited to intra-conference play. I’m hopeful for a repeat as the worse case scenario. You know, the challenge is to find a solution that not only satisfies both sides, which is obvious, but to find one that doesn’t make anyone look bad. The players said they were adamant about being paid in full this year, so some sort of a compromise would save face for some members of the PA, and I believe a good compromise would go a long way towards mending the relationship between both parties. Ex: Say they play only 50 games, but the players get paid for 65. Of course there are other issues to be resolved, and to state the obvious, it’s all about finding common ground and compromising. I’d much rather see the boys on the ice, but must admit that I’m enjoyiing watching this play out. Hey! The business side of the game cannot be denied.

9. tomnickle - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Mr. O’Brien, the name Bill Daly and the word candid should never be used in the same sentence.

10. capsrockva - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I just want a deal done soon so I can watch my caps. gues I’ll be watching College Hockey this season, since at this point it doesn’t look like the NHL hockey will go on. Screw bettman and feher

11. blkhwk21 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Fehr / Bettman – embarrassment to the NHL as are the Owners as are the Players and soon to be fans when we continue to pay for this crap

12. Eberwizzle - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Ahhhhh.hhhhhh………game #3 to the Sixers for $1.50 a ticket (on a website for fans) and my boys loved it AGAIN!!!! Thanks NHL, from the bottom of my heart and pocket. Not going to lie, when you return I will turn you on and watch a few games and the playoffs, but will NEVER buy a ticket, shirt, sock, jersey, or anything again.

13. csilojohnson - Nov 20, 2012 at 7:22 AM

Good bye hockey

14. id4joey - Nov 20, 2012 at 8:21 AM

A deal better be made soon or else Dec 3rd start date is in jeopardy, rainyday. The league will probably cancel the first 2 weeks of Dec if both parties can’t make a deal within the next 5 to 7 days. If another 2 weeks is cancelled, then another pay cheque goes by the wayside. I’d like to see how much profit, or lack thereof the NHL teams record during the months of oct, nov and dec. blomfeld has said it many times that the first 2 or 3 months are the least ptofitale of the season. And, lets not forget the expenses saved by each team associated with training camp.

15. canuck54143 - Nov 20, 2012 at 9:27 AM

NFLPA has no clue. Look at your union brothers, and sisters over at Hostess and tell me your doing the right thing. Both were Billion dollar industries before Union refused realize the company couldn’t survive giving employees more then their fair share. Hostess is D.O.A now, and it looks like NHLPA is looming to do the same to NHL. Sign the damn deal, and make it 10 years spending first three working down to 50/50, give the owners the ability to amnesty on contract during that time except contracts signed this summer. Raise the salary cap floor like NFL did, and keep player contracts the same.

• valoisvipers - Nov 21, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Who pays for the raised cap floor? The owners via the fans that’s who and what would raising the cap floor do? I’m not sure but it would force the small market teams to pay out more for their inferior players.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches