Nov 19, 2012, 1:21 PM EST
One of the words NHL critics like to use when describing the league’s first offer to the NHLPA is “draconian,” which can be defined as excessively severe or cruel.
The offer, presented in July, called for the players’ share of league revenue to be cut from 57 percent to 43 percent, along with a number of restrictions on player contracting.
But on Sunday, commissioner Gary Bettman refuted the idea the proposal was overly aggressive and, consequently, a mistake.
“I think the view some have of our first offer is fairly naive as it relates to collective bargaining,” Bettman told the Winnipeg Free Press on Sunday. “A sophisticated negotiator would have looked at it and said, ‘Obviously they want a 50-50 split.’ If we’re at 57 and they propose 43, they must be telegraphing where they want to end. If your intention was to use it in an inflammatory way, you could do that. If your intention was to make a deal, you could pretty much chart out what the course should be.”
At the time of the offer, Canucks goalie Cory Schneider seemed to echo Bettman’s take.
“I think the only thing I can say is it’s a first offer,” Schneider told the Vancouver Sun. “It’s a starting point. We’re going to consider it and figure out what our counter proposal is going to be. Yes, it is a little shocking when you first look at it but, again, that’s how negotiations work. You aim high and then try to move back from there.”
But NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr has since said that the offer left him “considerably disappointed,” and it’s become clear the players have used it as a rallying point.
So even if Bettman’s intention was to telegraph the NHL’s end goal, if instead it was used to embolden the players and led them to distrust the league even more, it’s hard to see how it helped the process.
Like Frank Luntz says, ”It’s not what you say, it’s what they hear.”
Dec 13, 2013, 2:02 AM EST
All three San Jose goals came on the power play.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:30 AM EST
But they snapped that 10-game losing streak the other day.
Dec 13, 2013, 1:03 AM EST
His inconsistent season continues.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:36 AM EST
Quite the funk they’re in when it comes to this aspect.
Dec 13, 2013, 12:17 AM EST
Bet these guys were tired after.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:57 PM EST
What a day in Calgary. More Brian Burke!
Dec 12, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Yeah, these are tough times.
Dec 12, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
Didn’t think too highly of it.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:45 PM EST
But two points eluded them.
Dec 12, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Dec 12, 2013, 10:06 PM EST
And it’s getting worse in New York.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:17 PM EST
Nice moment in Philly.
Dec 12, 2013, 9:04 PM EST
Montreal defenseman’s night ends early.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:52 PM EST
Jonathan Bernier takes over.
Dec 12, 2013, 8:15 PM EST
Tough time to be a Columbus goalie.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:39 PM EST
Cam Talbot was cheered upon entering the game.
Dec 12, 2013, 7:10 PM EST
No word on the severity of TT’s injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 6:27 PM EST
He’s been out with a lower-body injury.
Dec 12, 2013, 5:17 PM EST
Oilers coach wants to use “speed” and “smarts” tonight.
Dec 12, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
Oh, and Anders Nilsson sent back to AHL.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)